1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Hard Factorial Limit

1. Jul 3, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I need to evaluate the following limit:

[itex]lim_{n\rightarrow\infty}\left(\frac{1}{n!}\right)^{\frac{1}{3n}}[/itex]

Now, I think I have solved it, but my methods are not rigorous. I am looking to see if my assumptions are sound and if there is an easier way to solve this limit.

2. Relevant equations
    The Squeeze Theorem

3. The attempt at a solution
    My main approach to solving this limit is to use the squeeze theorem. I think it is safe to assume that the the expression must be greater than or equal to zero; this provides my lower bound. I want to try and find an upper bound with the following form:

[itex]\left(\frac{1}{n}\right)^{\frac{1}{b}}[/itex]

Where b is some fixed integer. By letting this be the upper bound, I end up with the following inequalities:

[itex]0 \leq \left(\frac{1}{n!}\right)^{\frac{1}{3n}} \leq \left(\frac{1}{n}\right)^{\frac{1}{b}}[/itex]

The problem is to find an integer b that makes the above inequalities true for some value of n greater than 1. This required a bit of guessing and checking since I have no idea how to find exact values to the following inequality (it is the one immediately above involving the expressions with exponenets except that it is rewritten):

[itex]n!^{\frac{b}{3}} - n^{n} \geq 0[/itex]

When I let b = 4, the inequalities become true at around n = 50. This should let me apply the squeeze theorem to conclude that the limit must equal zero, right?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 3, 2011 #2

hunt_mat

Homework Helper

How about looking at [itex]n!\leqslant n^{n}[/itex]? What does that tell you?

4. Jul 3, 2011 #3
    I did use a similar inequality to determine that b cannot be equal to 1, 2, and 3, but it doesn't help in determining if there exists an n greater than 1 such that every n after makes [itex]n!^{\frac{4}{3}}-n^{n} \geq 0[/itex] a true statement.

Now, if I used the inequality [itex]n! \leq n^{n}[/itex] to help with finding an upper bound you end with the following:

[itex]\left(\frac{1}{n!}\right)^{\frac{1}{3n}} \geq \left(\frac{1}{n^{n}}\right)^{\frac{1}{3n}}[/itex]

Before simplifying, it is clear that [itex]n! \leq n^{n}[/itex] is not a very helpful fact for finding an upper bound since the expression which is supposed to be an upper bound becomes a lower bound. In fact, after simplifying you find out that the right hand side of the inequality turns into the form of upper bound I was originally looking for when b is equal to 3. It shows that b cannot be equal to 3.

This is what I see, am I missing something?

5. Jul 3, 2011 #4

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What about comparing [itex]\displaystyle \left(\frac{1}{n!}\right)^{1/(3n)} \text{ and } \left(\frac{1}{n}\right)^{1/(3n)}\ ?[/itex]

or [itex]\displaystyle \left(\frac{1}{n!}\right)^{1/(3n)} \text{ and } \left(\frac{1}{3n}\right)^{1/(3n)}\ ?[/itex]

6. Jul 3, 2011 #5
    If you compare the first two, the second expression approaches 1 as n increases without bound. If you compare the next two, the second expression approaches 1 as n increases without bound. If you examine the expression in the original limit, you can see that it does not approach one, it dips down below 1 and slowly approaches what looks like zero. Both of the suggested upper bounds are not useful for the squeeze theorem.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2011
  7. Jul 3, 2011 #6

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yup! Silly mistake on my part.

b = 4 does work, with [itex](n!)^{\frac{b}{3}} - n^{n} \geq 0[/itex], for n > 42 .

However, b = 6, gives [itex]\displaystyle (n!)^{\frac{b}{3}} - n^{n} \geq 0[/itex], for n > 2 , and it's pretty easy to show this.

Also, [itex]\displaystyle \lim_{n\to\infty}\left(\frac{1}{n}\right)^{1/6}=0[/itex]

8. Jul 3, 2011 #7
    How do you go about solving for n when a specific b is input into the inequality?

9. Jul 3, 2011 #8

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Numerically. But [itex]\displaystyle (n!)^{2} - n^{n} = 0[/itex] is true for n = 1, 2.

For b = 4, I used WolframAlpha. Then actually plugged in n=41, which gave a negative answer & n = 42 which gave a positive.

10. Jul 4, 2011 #9
    Ah, thank you so much SammyS! And thank you everyone else! Letting b equal 6 is definitely much better than letting b equal 4.

11. Jul 4, 2011 #10

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You're welcome! & I apologize again for my mistaken first suggestion.

12. Jul 4, 2011 #11
    Rewrite it as:
    [tex]
    \left(\frac{1}{n!}\right)^{\frac{1}{3 n}} = \exp{\left[-\frac{\ln{(n!)}}{3 n}\right]}
    [/tex]
    and use Stirling's asymptotic formula:
    [tex]
    \ln{(n!)} \sim \left(n + \frac{1}{2}\right) \, \ln{n} - n, \ n \rightarrow \infty
    [/tex]

13. Jul 4, 2011 #12
    This method is much simpler! I love it! Thank you so much, Dickfore!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook