Is A Haunting in Georgia on TLC Based on Real Events?

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary, a documentary called "A Haunting in Georgia" aired on TLC tonight. It follows the story of the Wyrick family who moved into a home outside Atlanta in 1988 and experienced visits from their deceased neighbors. Parapsychologists attempted to explain the strange occurrences. However, the documentary has been criticized for its fictionalized style and use of re-enactments. Some viewers found it to be good, while others found it to be the worst documentary they have seen. The author of one debunking site complained about the lack of continuity, but others had no trouble following the story. Some believe that the author's main issue is with the alleged dishonesty of the Wyrick family, and the rest of their criticism
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
A Haunting in Georgia 09:00 PM ET -TLC-
[aired tonight]

In 1988, the Wyrick family moved into a home in a suburb outside Atlanta. Soon after, the family began receiving visits by neighbors -- which is all well and good, except these neighbors had been dead for years.

Parapsychologists try to explain the strange happenings inside the Wyrick residence on tonight's TLC special.
http://tv.yahoo.com/picks/20050616/

...That's the last vestige of cinematic veracity that still adheres to the making of made-for-cable documentaries, and A Haunting in Georgia throws it in the compost heap. The entire program was shot in a uniform fictionalized cinematic style, with actual participants and re-enactors mixed so wantonly that you can't tell them apart without a scorecard. Unfortunately, this being a cable show, the scorecard (the end titles) flashed by too fast to read. But there were a couple of screenfuls of credited re-enactors - this despite the fact that most Wyrick family members played themselves. Most footage was apparently shot at the actual Wyrick home where the manifestations allegedly took place. And that's part of the problem - with the Wyricks re-enacting their alleged experiences of ten years ago, seven years ago, and a couple of months ago, and all of it shot in a uniform style, it's impossible to guess where reality let's off and the fictionalizing begins. Obviously little Heidi at age three and age six had to be played by child actresses. But the others? Was it the real William Roll or an actor? The real psychic, or an impersonator? There's no way to tell. The talking heads and the re-enactors are the same people, and no one gets an identifying super that would say, "Okay, viewers, this is the real Amy Allen." [continued]
http://www.csicop.org/cmi/reviews/20020923-haunting.html

Did anyone watch? What did you think?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I thought it was pretty good. Note that the biggest complaint from the debunking site was the alleged lack of continuity. Frankly, I had no trouble keeping up whatsoever. Perhaps the author quoted should watch it again at a slower speed. :biggrin:

It's been a while since I saw it, but I remember it being ok.

I saw a documentary on Owlpen Manor the other night on the Travel Channel and THAT was the worst documentary I've ever seen. It was so bad that I actually turned it off. Heheh, I just googled it and found a forum where how bad it was is actually being discussed. I was going to post the "mooning ghoulie" emoticon someone gave it, but perhaps that's not appropriate here. :tongue:

Evo said:
It's been a while since I saw it, but I remember it being ok.

He was dancing all around that fact that he thinks they're all liars. He should just say that. The rest is all smoke and mirrors.

1. What is "A Haunting in Georgia: TLC" about?

"A Haunting in Georgia: TLC" is a television series that follows the experiences of the Wyrick family, who claim to have been haunted by supernatural entities in their home in Georgia.

2. Is "A Haunting in Georgia: TLC" based on a true story?

Yes, the show is based on the real-life experiences of the Wyrick family in their home in Ellerslie, Georgia.

3. How many seasons of "A Haunting in Georgia: TLC" are there?

There is only one season of "A Haunting in Georgia: TLC", which aired in 2002. However, there are other seasons and spin-offs of the "A Haunting" series that feature different haunted locations and stories.

4. Are there any skeptics or critics of the show's claims?

Yes, there have been skeptics and critics who have questioned the authenticity of the Wyrick family's experiences and the validity of the show's claims. Some believe that the show may have exaggerated or fabricated events for dramatic effect.

5. Has "A Haunting in Georgia: TLC" won any awards or recognition?

No, "A Haunting in Georgia: TLC" has not won any awards or notable recognition. However, the show has gained a dedicated fan base and has been praised for its spooky and suspenseful storytelling.

Back