Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: A heat problem

1. Apr 23, 2005 #1
    Interpret the diagram given for 1000g if substance when heated by a 100W heater. Determine it's melting point, boiling point, and specific heat for each phase, it's heat of vaporization, and its head of fusion.

-----

I've analyzed the graph and found the melting point to be 60 degrees C and the boiling point to be 120 degrees C. So that part is done.

-----​

I'm trying to use the formula c = (VI delta t) / (n delta T). But I can't come up with c. Since n is the number of moles, I know I need to figure that out. So I tried using the equation 1g = 1 N[a] (N sub a) where N[a] is 6.02E23mol^-1.

Now, I guess I need to use this formula three times (once for each phase - solid, liquid, and gas).

-----

I haven't started on theheat of vaporization and heat of fusion. But I don't know if there's a formula to use with this. I'm guessing it has something to do with the fact that it is the amount of energy needed to raise 1kg of a substance into a new phase.

2. jcsd
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted