Analyzing a 1000g Graph - Melting/Boiling Points & Heat of Vaporization/Fusion

In summary, the diagram shows the melting point of the substance to be 60 degrees C and the boiling point to be 120 degrees C. To determine the specific heat for each phase, the formula c = (VI delta t) / (n delta T) is used, where n is the number of moles. The heat of vaporization and heat of fusion are also needed, and can be calculated using a formula that takes into account the amount of energy needed to raise 1kg of a substance into a new phase.
Tokimasa
Interpret the diagram given for 1000g if substance when heated by a 100W heater. Determine it's melting point, boiling point, and specific heat for each phase, it's heat of vaporization, and its head of fusion.

-----

I've analyzed the graph and found the melting point to be 60 degrees C and the boiling point to be 120 degrees C. So that part is done.

-----​

I'm trying to use the formula c = (VI delta t) / (n delta T). But I can't come up with c. Since n is the number of moles, I know I need to figure that out. So I tried using the equation 1g = 1 N[a] (N sub a) where N[a] is 6.02E23mol^-1.

Now, I guess I need to use this formula three times (once for each phase - solid, liquid, and gas).

-----

I haven't started on theheat of vaporization and heat of fusion. But I don't know if there's a formula to use with this. I'm guessing it has something to do with the fact that it is the amount of energy needed to raise 1kg of a substance into a new phase.

Physics news on Phys.org
The specific heat for each phase is the amount of energy needed to raise 1kg of a substance by 1 degree C. So that is calculated by using the formula c = (VI delta t) / (n delta T).

I will need to do more research on that.

First of all, great job on analyzing the graph and finding the melting and boiling points! To calculate the specific heat for each phase, you are on the right track with using the formula c = (VI delta t) / (n delta T). However, instead of using the equation 1g = 1 N[a] (N sub a), you can simply use the mass of the substance (1000g) as n in the formula. This will give you the specific heat for each phase.

For the heat of vaporization, you are correct in thinking that it is the amount of energy needed to raise 1kg of the substance into a new phase. The formula for this is q = m * L, where q is the heat of vaporization, m is the mass of the substance, and L is the latent heat of vaporization. This value can be found on the graph as the slope of the line between the boiling point and the point where the substance is completely in the gas phase.

Similarly, the heat of fusion can be calculated using the formula q = m * L, where L is the latent heat of fusion. This value can be found on the graph as the slope of the line between the melting point and the point where the substance is completely in the liquid phase.

I hope this helps with your calculations and understanding of the graph. Keep up the good work!

1. What is the purpose of analyzing a 1000g graph?

The purpose of analyzing a 1000g graph is to determine the melting and boiling points, as well as the heat of vaporization and fusion, of a substance. This information is important in understanding the physical properties of a substance and how it behaves under different conditions.

2. How is the melting point of a substance determined from a 1000g graph?

The melting point of a substance is determined from a 1000g graph by identifying the point at which the solid substance begins to change into a liquid state. This is typically represented by a sharp increase in the graph's slope, indicating an increase in temperature as heat is applied to the substance.

3. What is the significance of the boiling point on a 1000g graph?

The boiling point on a 1000g graph represents the temperature at which a substance changes from a liquid to a gas state. This is an important physical property to know as it can impact the behavior and use of the substance, such as in cooking or industrial processes.

4. How do you calculate the heat of vaporization from a 1000g graph?

The heat of vaporization can be calculated from a 1000g graph by determining the area under the curve between the boiling point and the melting point. This area represents the amount of heat energy required to change the substance from a liquid to a gas state.

5. Can the heat of fusion be determined from a 1000g graph?

Yes, the heat of fusion can be determined from a 1000g graph by calculating the area under the curve between the melting point and the solid state. This area represents the amount of heat energy required to change the substance from a solid to a liquid state.