1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A heavy-duty stapling gun!

1. Nov 2, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A heavy-duty stapling gun uses a 0.151-kg metal rod that rams against the staple to eject it. The rod is pushed by a stiff spring called a "ram spring" (k = 35007 N/m). The mass of this spring may be ignored. Squeezing the handle of the gun first compresses the ram spring by 3.9 multiplied by 10-2m from its unstrained length and then releases it. Assuming that the ram spring is oriented vertically and is still compressed by 1.0 multiplied by 10-2m when the downward-moving ram hits the staple, find the speed of the ram at the instant of contact.

2. Relevant equations
    U=(1/2)kx^2
    (1/2)kx^2=(1/2)mv^2

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have no idea what to do. My answer was 13.96 m/s but it was wrong.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 2, 2009 #2

Delphi51

Homework Helper

I don't get 13.96. (1/2)kx^2=(1/2)mv^2 is not quite right because the spring still has some energy left (x = .01) when it hits.

4. Nov 3, 2009 #3
    Conservation of energy. U_0 + KE_0 = U_f + KE_f. Think about each of these terms and what their values are initially and finally for this situation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook