Does a helium balloon tilt when a bus accelerates?

• Thread starter rbwang1225
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bus
In summary, when the bus is accelerating, the mass of the helium balloon has no affect on the balloon's buoyant force. The balloon will float and ascend.
rbwang1225

Homework Statement

Consider a hellium balloon with negiligible mass in the bus with all windows closed.
When the bus is acclerating in ##\mathbf a=a \mathbf i##, where ## \mathbf i## is the unit vector in the positive x direction, describe the status of the balloon and explain the reason.
If we consider the massive balloon, does your answer change?
Explain the reason.
(Status: Does it tilt or not? What are the tilting diraction and angle?)

Homework Equations

Buoyent force ##ρgV##

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the answer might be ##tan\theta=\frac{g}{a}## or something like this, but I don't really the reason behide this.
I think it is related to physics in noninertial frames.

Any help would be appreciated.
Sincerely.

Physics news on Phys.org
Forget about the bus for a moment. What usually happens to the helium filled balloon and why?

The balloon will float in the air because of the density of the helium is smaller than that of air.
I just got a new idea, but don't know if it's right or not.
balloon.jpeg

Because of the total force is ##\mathbf B+m\mathbf g## which equals ##m\mathbf a##, and I think the direction of the gravity is the same, therefore it is the change of the buoyant force that causes the change of the status of the balloon.

The balloon will float, or ascend?

Sorry, bad english, the balloon will ascend.

OK, why does it ascend?

Because the pressure at the lower part of the balloon is greater than the upper part of it, and, the buoyant force is larger than the gravitational force, the balloon ascends.

OK, but why do these differences exist? Do they exist in the zero gravity environment?

If the balloon is not on a string held by someone, where do you think the balloon is located vertically before the bus starts to accelerate?

(a) in mid air
(b) at the roof of the bus.

If your answer is (b), what do you think the magnitude of the force is that the roof exerts on the balloon?

Borek said:
OK, but why do these differences exist? Do they exist in the zero gravity environment?
No, they always exist in a gravitational environment.
As for the reason of these differences, I don't really understand your question, sorry...

Chestermiller said:
If the balloon is not on a string held by someone, where do you think the balloon is located vertically before the bus starts to accelerate?

(a) in mid air
(b) at the roof of the bus.

If your answer is (b), what do you think the magnitude of the force is that the roof exerts on the balloon?

My answer is (b), but I don't really know how to figure out the direction and magnitude of the normal force exerted by the roof and the buoyant force which, I think, has something to do with the condition of the windows.

I think we should consider it to be floating up in the air and it is on a sting held by a student.

or at least assume that the balloon is weighted so it has a tendency to float one way up eg with the knot pointing downwards.

Perhaps it would help the OP to remember that when the bus is stationary gravity (an acceleration) is pulling the air vertically downwards. What happens when the bus and the air in it are also accelerating in another direction. It helps if you have ridden on a bus standing up!

Let me reword the original problem. Imagine you have a helium filled balloon in the standing bus. Obviously, the balloon goes up till it stops at the roof and it stays there. Now, what will happen when the bus starts to move?

1. What is a hellim balloon?

A hellim balloon, also known as a helium balloon, is a type of balloon filled with helium gas instead of regular air. Helium is a lighter gas than air, causing the balloon to float and giving it a unique appearance.

2. How does a hellim balloon stay up in a bus?

The helium gas inside the balloon is less dense than the air outside of it, causing it to rise and float. In a bus, the movement and air circulation can help keep the balloon afloat, similar to how it would stay up in an open outdoor space.

3. Is it safe to have a hellim balloon in a bus?

Generally, it is safe to have a hellim balloon in a bus as long as it is secured and not obstructing the driver's view or causing distractions. However, it is important to consider any potential allergies or sensitivities to helium gas for passengers on the bus.

4. How long will a hellim balloon last in a bus?

The lifespan of a hellim balloon in a bus will vary depending on factors such as the size of the balloon, the amount of helium used, and the temperature and air circulation inside the bus. On average, a hellim balloon can last anywhere from 6-12 hours in a controlled indoor environment.

5. Can a hellim balloon in a bus cause any problems?

In rare cases, a hellim balloon in a bus can potentially cause problems such as obstructing the driver's view or causing distractions, or popping and startling passengers. It is important to properly secure and monitor the balloon to avoid any potential issues.