Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A higher Power

1. God and Angels

2. Aliens

3. Spirit Guides

4. All of the Above

5. Not Sure

Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Aug 16, 2004 #1
    A "higher Power"

What does a "higher power mean to you? What do you think it is?
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 16, 2004 #2
    There is only one power and it fuels all of existance.
  4. Aug 17, 2004 #3
    Higher power to me only means a power outside of ourselves. Clearly we don't create ourselves, the universe does. Therefor whatever the universe is, it is the higher power. Higher power in this sense doesn't have to be a personal God, or a mystical force. Nature is the higher power.
  5. Aug 17, 2004 #4
    3 cheers for panteism!!! the higher power is all that is. it is GREATER than the sum of all it's parts. 1+1=3, universal consciousness?

olde drunk
  6. Aug 17, 2004 #5
    Like up and down, inside and outside, etc. a Higher power is a relative term. For example, sometimes the government is a higher power or higher authority or whatever. It just depends upon the context within which the words are used. However, I assume from the pole that you are asking in a spiritual or at least emotional context.

Here is my favorite description:

Looked at but cannot be seen - it is beneath form;
    Listened to but cannot be heard - it is beneath sound;
    Held but cannot be touched - it is beneath feeling;
    These depthless things evade definition,
    And blend into a single mystery.
    In its rising there is no light,
    In its falling there is no darkness,
    A continuous thread beyond description,
    Lining what can not occur;
    Its form formless,
    Its image nothing,
    Its name silence;
    Follow it, it has no back,
    Meet it, it has no face.
    Attend the present to deal with the past;
    Thus you grasp the continuity of the Way,
    Which is its essence.

Lao Tzu
  7. Aug 19, 2004 #6
    I voted none for I believe nothing is higher or lower than anything.
  8. Aug 20, 2004 #7
    I'm still an atheist, thank God.
    Luis Bunuel (1900 - 1983)
  9. Aug 21, 2004 #8
    The term "higher power" has different meanings to different people. There is no one correct answer to this question. When I hear the term I think of God, but not angels.

People in AA often use the term to mean that which keeps them sober. But AA itself means "God", whatever that is.

10. Aug 21, 2004 #9
    To me, a higher power is a exponent higher than another.

For example 2^10 would be a higher power than 2^5.
  11. Aug 22, 2004 #10

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award

I don't presume to know everything. I do presume the universe knows everything. Pretty hard to explain how it keeps itself together otherwise.
  12. Aug 22, 2004 #11
    All computer programs and software are made up of just binary numbers of 1's and 0's. Even though all programs are made up of two differnt numbers we still choose which programs we think are better then the others. So everything is equal but what we see and view as better,higher or more powerful is a matter of opinion.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?