Exploring the Concept of a Higher Power in the Digital Age

• Thread starter Akura
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Power
In summary, a higher power is a power outside of ourselves that fuels all of existence. It can be nature, God, or any other concept. It is greater than the sum of its parts and has no face or back. It is continuous and without form or image. It is the source of all knowledge and the path to enlightenment.

What do you think a Higher Power is

• Total voters
Akura
A "higher Power"

What does a "higher power mean to you? What do you think it is?

Physics news on Phys.org
There is only one power and it fuels all of existence.
Pizza

Higher power to me only means a power outside of ourselves. Clearly we don't create ourselves, the universe does. Therefor whatever the universe is, it is the higher power. Higher power in this sense doesn't have to be a personal God, or a mystical force. Nature is the higher power.

3 cheers for panteism! the higher power is all that is. it is GREATER than the sum of all it's parts. 1+1=3, universal consciousness?

love&peace,
olde drunk

Like up and down, inside and outside, etc. a Higher power is a relative term. For example, sometimes the government is a higher power or higher authority or whatever. It just depends upon the context within which the words are used. However, I assume from the pole that you are asking in a spiritual or at least emotional context.

Here is my favorite description:

Mystery

Looked at but cannot be seen - it is beneath form;
Listened to but cannot be heard - it is beneath sound;
Held but cannot be touched - it is beneath feeling;
These depthless things evade definition,
And blend into a single mystery.
In its rising there is no light,
In its falling there is no darkness,
A continuous thread beyond description,
Lining what can not occur;
Its form formless,
Its image nothing,
Its name silence;
Follow it, it has no back,
Meet it, it has no face.
Attend the present to deal with the past;
Thus you grasp the continuity of the Way,
Which is its essence.

Lao Tzu

I voted none for I believe nothing is higher or lower than anything.

I'm still an atheist, thank God.
Luis Bunuel (1900 - 1983)

The term "higher power" has different meanings to different people. There is no one correct answer to this question. When I hear the term I think of God, but not angels.

People in AA often use the term to mean that which keeps them sober. But AA itself means "God", whatever that is.

Pete

To me, a higher power is a exponent higher than another.

For example 2^10 would be a higher power than 2^5.

I don't presume to know everything. I do presume the universe knows everything. Pretty hard to explain how it keeps itself together otherwise.

All computer programs and software are made up of just binary numbers of 1's and 0's. Even though all programs are made up of two differnt numbers we still choose which programs we think are better then the others. So everything is equal but what we see and view as better,higher or more powerful is a matter of opinion.

1. What is a higher power?

A higher power is a term used to describe a force or entity that is believed to have greater control and influence over the universe and human existence than any physical or humanly comprehensible power. It is often associated with the concept of a deity or God, but can also refer to a universal energy or consciousness.

2. Is a higher power a scientific concept?

A higher power is not a scientific concept in the traditional sense, as it cannot be tested or proven through the scientific method. However, many scientists and researchers have explored the idea of a higher power through fields such as philosophy, psychology, and anthropology.

3. Can a higher power be explained through science?

As a concept that is based on faith and belief, a higher power cannot be fully explained or understood through scientific means. However, some scientists and philosophers have offered theories and explanations for the existence and role of a higher power in the universe.

4. How does belief in a higher power affect individuals and society?

Belief in a higher power can have a significant impact on individuals and society, as it often provides a sense of meaning, purpose, and moral guidance. It can also bring people together through shared beliefs and practices, but can also lead to conflicts and divisions when different beliefs clash.

5. Is belief in a higher power compatible with science?

Many people believe that belief in a higher power and science are not mutually exclusive. While science may not be able to prove the existence of a higher power, it can coexist with faith and provide a different perspective on the world and our place in it.