Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I A history of Dark Matter

1. May 18, 2016 #1

wolram

Gold Member

I thought this may be interesting, the decades old search for Dark Mater.

arXiv:1605.04909 [pdf, other]
    A History of Dark Matter
    Gianfranco Bertone, Dan Hooper
    Comments: 86 pages, 8 figures
    Subjects: Cosmology and Nongalactic Astrophysics (astro-ph.CO); Astrophysics of Galaxies (astro-ph.GA); High Energy Astrophysical Phenomena (astro-ph.HE); High Energy Physics - Phenomenology (hep-ph)

Although dark matter is a central element of modern cosmology, the history of how it became accepted as part of the dominant paradigm is often ignored or condensed into a brief anecdotical account focused around the work of a few pioneering scientists. The aim of this review is to provide the reader with a broader historical perspective on the observational discoveries and the theoretical arguments that led the scientific community to adopt dark matter as an essential part of the standard cosmological model.

2. jcsd
  3. May 23, 2016 #2
    Thanks for the post! This is an automated courtesy bump. Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

4. May 23, 2016 #3
    'Dark matter' is one of those placeholder names for a thing which measurably exists, but we don't know what it is.
    No theory suggests it should be there, but it does.
    Either we need to improve our theories, or else do experiments to find out what is going on.
    Work is in progress in both ways as as far as I know

5. May 26, 2016 #4

haushofer

Science Advisor

Personally, I'm curious about this 'about to come out'-new paper by Erik Verlinde.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted