A HOUSE? Pillars And Arches in MATH?Ahhh

• Thread starter aisha
  • Start date
In summary: I solving for and what do u mean by segments?The angles in the isosceles triangle,of course.U only need to know one of them,since 2 are equal and the sum in 180°.U'll be needing the angle between the horizontal pillar and one of the verticals joining at the summit of the arch.
aisha
Im given a picture of a house, There is a traingular arch on top of the entrance held up by 2 pillars.
point *

l___________l
l___________l
l___________l
10 ft

The distance between the pillars is 10 ft the pillars are 7 ft high and distance from the ground to the triangle arches point is 10ft.

The question said to sketch the pillars and arch on a grid, which I did.

1.)It says for each of the two pillars, determine an equation that models it?
and then state the domain and range of each equation. (I don't even know where to start on this)

2)also determine the function that models the triangular arch. (I have no idea!) state the domain and range :cry:

Physics news on Phys.org
aisha said:
Im given a picture of a house, There is a traingular arch on top of the entrance held up by 2 pillars.
point *

l___________l
l___________l
l___________l
10 ft

The distance between the pillars is 10 ft the pillars are 7 ft high and distance from the ground to the triangle arches point is 10ft.

The question said to sketch the pillars and arch on a grid, which I did.

1.)It says for each of the two pillars, determine an equation that models it?
and then state the domain and range of each equation. (I don't even know where to start on this)

2)also determine the function that models the triangular arch. (I have no idea!) state the domain and range :cry:

For 1) did you number your coordinates? The domain and range will all be dependent on where you place your pillars. I'm assuming the pillars will just be a line. The domain will be whatever x value the pillar is restricted to. The Range will be the height of the pillar.

For 2) It will be an absolute value equation. It's hard to explain, so it might be easier if you do 1 first.

yes i understand that the eqn for the arch will be an absolute value one but what about the pillars? What is the equation for the straight pillars? I don't understand how to do this. :cry:

aisha said:
yes i understand that the eqn for the arch will be an absolute value one but what about the pillars? What is the equation for the straight pillars? I don't understand how to do this. :cry:

It will be a vertical line... x = whatever...

apchemstudent said:
It will be a vertical line... x = whatever...

x=0 and x=10? ok I know that much but I am wondering these lines will go on forever how do I make them stop at 7ft?

aisha said:
x=0 and x=10? ok I know that much but I am wondering these lines will go on forever how do I make them stop at 7ft?

That's where the range comes in...

x=0 y=7 , and x=10 y=7?

When there is range this doesn't look like an equation anymore it looks more like a pair of coordinates.

aisha said:
x=0 y=7 , and x=10 y=7?
When there is range this doesn't look like an equation anymore it looks more like a pair of coordinates.

They're the coordinates of the pillars' tops.(?,correct English word?? :confused: ).However the equation for the pillars are simple:
[tex] P_{1}:(x=0,0\leq y\leq 7) [/tex] and [tex] P_{2}:(x=10,0\leq y\leq 7) [/tex]
Tell us (u didn't make the drawing available) what shape that triangle has.Is it isosceles??If so,the problem to find the equations for its three sides is terribly simple.

Daniel.

PS.For the pillars,u can use the 'closed interval' notation.

yes the triangle on top of the pillars is an isosceles triangle

aisha said:
yes the triangle on top of the pillars is an isosceles triangle

In that case,it's terribly silmple.The base of the triangle is a horizontal bar stretching from 'x=0' to 'x=10' at the height of 'y=7'.It's trivial to write down the equation.Now,in that isosceles triangle on top of the pillars u know the height (the total height of the of the house-the height of the pillars) and the base (formed from 2 sides of 5(m?)on one and on the other side of the height).Use trigonometry to find the angles,and then if you have the equations for the 2 segments are easy to write.

Daniel.

Last edited:
ok which angles am I solving for and what do u mean by segments?

The angles in the isosceles triangle,of course.U only need to know one of them,since 2 are equal and the sum in 180°.U'll be needing the angle between the horizontal pillar and one of the verticals joining at the summit of the arch.
"Segment"??I believe it's the word to describe the line between 2 fixed points...?? :rolleyes:

Daniel.

1) What are the most common features of a house?

The most common features of a house include walls, floors, a roof, doors, and windows.

2) How many pillars are typically found in a house?

The number of pillars in a house can vary depending on the style and size of the house. Some houses may have no pillars, while others may have multiple pillars supporting the structure.

3) What is the purpose of pillars in a house?

Pillars in a house serve as structural support, helping to distribute the weight of the house evenly and prevent collapse. They can also add aesthetic appeal to the design of a house.

4) What is the significance of arches in math?

In mathematics, arches often refer to the curved shape formed by the intersection of circles or other curved objects. They are used in various equations and geometric calculations.

5) How are pillars and arches related in the design of a house?

Pillars and arches are often used together in the design of a house to provide structural support and add visual interest. The pillars may support the arches, which can then span larger spaces and distribute the weight of the structure more efficiently.