Calculating A-hrs: Understanding a Car Battery's Performance and Efficiency

• Thread starter nckaytee
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculation
In summary, the conversation discusses a question about a car battery's capacity and how long it can last when operating at a certain current. The solution involves converting units and using an equation, and it is determined that the battery can last for 17.5 minutes in this scenario. The conversation also includes a clarification about converting units and the number of minutes in an hour.
nckaytee
My teacher posted a practice exam with no answers so I want to make sure I am doing my problems right.

A car battery is rated at 70 A-hrs. How many minutes can this battery last if it operates at a current of 15A?

I made an equation 70A/60min = Xmin/15A

So, X=17.5 min

Am I right?

Physics news on Phys.org

nckaytee said:
My teacher posted a practice exam with no answers so I want to make sure I am doing my problems right.

A car battery is rated at 70 A-hrs. How many minutes can this battery last if it operates at a current of 15A?

I made an equation 70A/60min = Xmin/15A

So, X=17.5 min

Am I right?

An amp is one coulombs per sec. That means that an Amp hour is 3600 coulombs.

70 amp hours is 252,000 coulombs.

15 amps is 15 coulombs per sec = 54,000 coulombs in an hour.

so 900 minutes?

nckaytee said:
so 900 minutes?

How did you get 900 minutes?

You have 252,000 coulombs to spend and you spend 54,000 an hour? How many hours is that again? Times how many minutes an hour?

Just divide 70 A-h by the 15 A, the A cross themselves out and your left with just the hours not necessary to switch to coulombs.

What is an A-hrs calculation?

An A-hrs calculation is a measurement of the amount of usable energy in a battery or other energy storage device. It takes into account both the voltage and the amount of time the battery can sustain that voltage.

Why is A-hrs calculation important?

A-hrs calculation is important because it gives an accurate measure of how much energy a battery can provide. This information is crucial for determining the battery's capacity and lifespan, as well as for properly sizing and selecting batteries for different applications.

How do you calculate A-hrs?

To calculate A-hrs, you need to multiply the battery's voltage by the amount of time it can sustain that voltage. For example, a 12-volt battery that can sustain its voltage for 5 hours would have an A-hrs calculation of 12 x 5 = 60 A-hrs.

What factors can affect the accuracy of A-hrs calculation?

Several factors can affect the accuracy of A-hrs calculation, including temperature, discharge rate, and battery age. It is important to take these factors into account when making A-hrs calculations to ensure the most accurate results.

Can A-hrs calculation be used for any type of battery or energy storage device?

Yes, A-hrs calculation can be used for any type of battery or energy storage device as long as the voltage and time measurements are accurate. However, different battery chemistries may have different A-hrs ratings, so it is important to consult the manufacturer's specifications for the specific type of battery being used.