Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A humble question about the 2N3904 transistor

1. Sep 24, 2004 #1

dip

Is there an IC that has 2N3904 transitor in it? I have to use an IC instead of transistors so I was wondering what is it's IC equivalent? :confused:

Tnx.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 24, 2004 #2
    What do you mean "IC" equivalent? The SMT equiv should be something like mmbt3904, or pzt3904. 2n3904 refers both to the case style (to-92 footprint) and the semiconductor material. If you search Fairchild, Vishey, ST, etc using the parametric option you'll probably come up with something. Or search the mmbt/pzt PN's if SMT is what you need. What package are you looking for anyway?

If you need multiple xstors in a dip type package you'll most likely have to do the parametric search using the 3904 characteristics.

Good luck.

4. Sep 24, 2004 #3

dip

IC = Integrated Circuit. I have to use a Darlington array in my ckt but my prof says use an IC. Geh...

Thanks anyways :)

5. Sep 24, 2004 #4
    I know "IC" mean integrated circuit; however, you needed to specify which package you needed. There are not a lot of "IC's" containing a single xstr which was why I asked.

Needing a darlington array is different than needing a 3904. Go to Mouser electronics and search for darlington array. You'll find many "ICs" for about $1.50 that will meet your requirements. Darlingtons are exceedingly common as ICs.

6. Sep 24, 2004 #5

dip

Ok, thanks

7. Sep 26, 2004 #6
    More importantly how the device is to be used. Switch? Amplifier? The 2003 (can't think of prefix) is a darlington switch. It is capable of a couple of hundred mA I believe. There are 7 darlington pairs on the device. It is typically used as a relay driver or similar application.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?