1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Hypergeometric Distribution Problem

1. Jan 25, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Balls are randomly withdrawn, one at a time without replacement, from an urn that initially has N white and M black balls. Find the probability that n white balls are drawn before m black balls, n <= N, m <= M.

2. Relevant equations
    A hypergeometric random variable with parameters n, N, m represents the number of white balls selected when n balls are randomly chosen from an urn that contains N balls, of which m are white. Its probability mass function is given by

p(i) = C(m, i) * C(N - m, n - i) / C(N, n)

3. The attempt at a solution
    How can n white balls be withdrawn before m black balls? It could happen in the following ways:

- I draw out n balls and the all happen to be white,
    - I draw out n + 1 balls and all but one is black,
    - I draw out n + 2 balls and all but two are black, ...,
    - I draw out n + m - 1 balls and all but m - 1 are black

The probability sought is the sum of the probabilities of each of the events described above right? If I draw k balls, n <= k < n + m, then the probability that n are white is C(N, n) * C(M, k - n) / C(N + M, k).

Here's the books answer, which I disagree with:

A total of n white balls will be withdrawn before a total of m black balls if and only if there are at least n white balls in the first n + m - 1 withdrawls. With X equal to the nuber of balls amount the first n + m - 1 withdrawn balls, then X is a hypergeometric random variable and

[tex]P\{X \ge n\} = \sum_{i=n}^{n+m-1} \frac{\binom{N}{i} \binom{M}{n+m-1-i}}{\binom{N+M}{n+m-1}}[/tex]

I don't understand why the answer is P{X >= n} since this is the probability that at least n white balls are selected from n + m - 1 withdrawn balls.
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?