Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Insights A Journey Into the Cosmos - The Friedmann Equation - Comments

1. Dec 22, 2017 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 26, 2017 #2
    Great start @Arman777. This is part of our student series. If anyone has suggestions or feedback for him he would appreciate it!

4. Dec 27, 2017 #3

Drakkith

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Very nice!

5. Dec 27, 2017 #4
    Thanks a lot :)

6. Dec 29, 2017 #5

chasrob

Gold Member

Very interesting post, one that even someone with an art major's understanding of physics can follow along. Like me, heh.

Inre to figure 8 and the crunch; years ago I came across a paper about solving the Friedmann equations by computer and noticed some surprising results. Surprising to me anyway. What do you think of their statement on page 2 --Thus a closed universe, by definition, is one with positive curvature K_0. Closure by itself does not tell us whether or not the universe will recollapse. In Sect. III we will show that in relativistic cosmology some open models recollapse and some closed ones do not."

7. Dec 29, 2017 #6

PeterDonis

Staff: Mentor

It's true if there is a nonzero cosmological constant. Most introductory treatments of the Friedmann equations don't consider this case. If the cosmological constant is zero, then a closed universe will always recollapse and a flat or open one will always expand forever; that's why you often see statements along those lines in introductory treatments.

8. Dec 29, 2017 #7
    Thanks for your review, that was my purpose of writing this article.

As PeterDonis said, my case is for ##Λ=0##. But in the next chapters, I' ll introduce the ##Λ## and solve some models when ##Λ≠0##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted