A Journey to The Manifold SU(2) - Part II - Comments

In summary, The author provides a concise overview of Lie group theory, focusing on the importance of representations. He notes that this material can be difficult to follow without more context, and provides a list of references for readers who want to explore the subject further. Part 1 of the article discusses the sphere as a manifold, but Part 2 focuses on the Lie group SU(2). The author discusses the connection between locally isomorphic and globally isomorphic Lie groups, noting that physicists often gloss over these concepts.
fresh_42
Mentor
Insights Author
2023 Award
Greg Bernhardt submitted a new PF Insights post

A Journey to The Manifold SU(2) - Part II
manifold2.png

Continue reading the Original PF Insights Post.

Attachments

• manifold2.png
    manifold2.png
    13.6 KB · Views: 900
Likes lavinia and Greg Bernhardt
Physics news on Phys.org
These notes would be helpful for a student who is learning about Lie groups because they work through an important specific example - the example of ##SU(2,C)##.

The student would have to master the Lie group technology in a different place.

I especially like the way the Hopf fibration is worked out.

The introductory section on spheres is not specific to ##SU(2,C)## so for me personally it was distracting. I also found the initial example of a local Lie group distracting.

The first paragraph of Part 1 says that it hopes to pique interest in Lie group mathematics. For this, some comment on why representations are important/ interesting - in mathematics - would have helped.

There is a lot of calculation here and some people might like an intuitive beacon to light the way along the journey.

Other thoughts:
- The notes do not require showing that the sphere is a manifold.

- For intuition, one might describe the actions of special orthogonal groups on spheres as rotations. To me this would be more intuitive than matrix multiplication. Even non-mathematicians can imagine a rotation and would immediately see that any rotation must have two fixed poles. The stabilizer then acts transitively on the tangent sphere at the poles. For ##SO(3)## the stabilizer also acts without fixed points and one sees that ##SO(3)## is the tangent circle bundle of the 2 sphere. Perhaps one could go from here to illustrate the difference between ##SO(3)## and ##SU(2,C)##.
-

Last edited:
Likes fresh_42
Thank you for the detailed review, @lavinia.

You are absolutely right, that the initial example and the spheres feel distracting. It disturbed me, too. The reason is, that I originally wanted to focus on vector fields instead of the group. I began by noting, that there is this general vision of vectors attached to points on one hand and the abstract formulas on the other. I thought some examples with actual curves (flows, 1-parameter groups), groups and specific functions would be helpful, as they are often banned to exercises or get lost in the "bigger" theory. That's where those two paragraphs came from. As I looked closer into the example of SU(2) I got more and more involved with it instead of my original purpose vector fields.

So the actual distraction had been SU(2). To be honest, I wanted to understand connections better, esp. Ehresmann and Levi-Civita and hope to deal with it (on the example of SU(2) again) in a third part. So the two parts so far are more of a "what has happened before" part of the story. But the more I've read about SU(2), the more I found it interesting. I kept the distracting parts, as I recognized, that they are a good to quote or a copy & paste source for answers on PF. Up to now, I used the various notations of derivatives as well as the stereographic projection in an answer to a thread here. And as one-parameter groups are essential to the theory, I kept this part. And why not have a list of spheres of small dimensions, when one of them is meant to be the primary example of actual calculations? That's basically the reason for the felt (by you and by me) inhomogeneous structure and why the article is a bit of a collection of formulas.

So thanks, again, and I'll see if I can add a couple of explanations which you suggested.

It would have helped to describe in maximum 2 paragraphs the connection between a local Lie group and a global Lie group and from here the connection between the notions of globally isomorphic Lie groups and locally isomorphically Lie groups. Physicists usually gloss over these important definitions and theorems.
:)

What is the Manifold SU(2) and why is it important in mathematics?

The Manifold SU(2) is a mathematical object that represents a group of 2x2 complex matrices with unit determinants. It is important in mathematics because it is a fundamental concept in the study of group theory and Lie algebra. It also has applications in physics, particularly in the study of quantum mechanics and particle physics.

What is the significance of the "journey" in this series of articles?

The "journey" refers to the process of exploring and understanding the mathematical concepts and properties of the Manifold SU(2). By following this journey, readers can gain a deeper understanding of the manifold and its applications in mathematics and physics.

How does Part II of this series build upon Part I?

Part II of this series continues to explore the properties of the Manifold SU(2) and its relationship to the special unitary group SU(2). It also delves into the concept of Lie algebra and its importance in understanding the manifold. Part II builds upon Part I by providing a more in-depth analysis and explanation of these concepts.

What are some potential real-world applications of the Manifold SU(2)?

The Manifold SU(2) has various applications in physics, particularly in the study of quantum mechanics and particle physics. It is also used in the field of differential geometry and has applications in robotics, computer graphics, and computer vision.

What background knowledge is necessary to understand this series of articles?

A basic understanding of linear algebra and group theory is necessary to comprehend the concepts presented in this series. Familiarity with complex numbers and calculus is also helpful. Some knowledge of physics, particularly quantum mechanics, may also aid in understanding the applications of the manifold in the real world.