1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A kinematic question?

1. Jul 8, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An explorer drops a pebble into a cavern to see how deep it is. At 1.8 seconds, the explorer hears the pebble hit the water. The speed of sound travels at 345 m/s in the cave. How deep is the cavern?

This seems like a kinematic question but I can seem to get the right answer. Does anyone have any idea how to approach this? The answer is 15 meters btw.

2. Relevant equations

The kinematics equations.

3. The attempt at a solution

I've tried letting the time it takes the pebble to hit the ground to be 1.8 minus the time it takes for the sound to come back up. So I had something like t=1.8-d/Vs, where Vs is the speed of sound. I tried plugging that time into a kinematic formula but I had no luck.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 8, 2009 #2

jgens

Gold Member

What do you know about the distance that the pebble falls and the distance that the sound wave travels? How does the time it takes the pebble to reach the surface depend on the drop height h?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook