1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A knot theory question

1. Feb 14, 2008 #1
    Hi, so I need to show that every link is two-equivalent to a trivial link with the same number of components. Right now I can show that if I have a simple link with linking number = 1, then it is possible to immediately separate the link into its two components. But how can I generalize this idea t links of n linking numbers? Any ideas?

For those interested, this is 3.7 in Invariants of Knots, the Knot Book by Adams.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 15, 2008 #2
    If it's not theory we can't help you. :tongue2:

I'm sorry, I just couldn't resist the pun. I really should've because I don't know anything about knot theory and I can't actually help you. I hope someone does soon.

4. Feb 15, 2008 #3
    Haha :rolleyes:

Actually I think I figured it out. You can show two-moves contain a certain other kind of move, which more clearly is able to separate components of a link.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook