Understanding LQG: Adding and Multiplying in Spin Networks

• Thread starter naima
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lqg
In summary, The conversation discusses the topic of Loop Quantum Gravity (LQG) and the possibility of predicting events in the next 10 years. The main question is concerning the addition or multiplication of spin networks, with a specific interest in the operation of union or concatenation on graphs. The conversation also mentions a "layman's" question about the current progress in LQG and resources for learning about calculations and prerequisites for understanding LQG.
naima
Gold Member
Hi all

I use to read posts on LQG where I try to understand what will be evident next 10 years!.
I'd just like to know how one can add to spin networks or multiply one by a scalar?

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
in fact my question is about union or concatenation: given two graphs is there a natural operation producing a connex graph with the sum of volumes.
the same fom 1 graph to get a new graph with a volume multiplied by a scalar

I also have a "layman's" question:

What has been achieved so far in LQG,
and where are the best resources teaching how to do those kinds of calculation with LQG (and also what sort of background is prerequisite for such)?

1. What is LQG?

LQG stands for Loop Quantum Gravity, which is a theoretical framework in physics that attempts to reconcile the principles of quantum mechanics and general relativity. It proposes that space and time are made up of discrete, indivisible units rather than being continuous.

2. What are spin networks?

Spin networks are a mathematical representation used in Loop Quantum Gravity to describe the structure of space at the quantum level. They consist of nodes and edges, with the nodes representing elementary units of space and the edges representing the relationships between them.

3. How are addition and multiplication defined in spin networks?

In spin networks, addition and multiplication are defined using the mathematical operations of linear superposition and tensor product. Linear superposition combines two spin networks by adding their corresponding amplitudes, while tensor product multiplies them by connecting all possible pairs of nodes.

4. What is the significance of adding and multiplying in spin networks?

Adding and multiplying in spin networks allows us to construct more complex networks and describe the evolution of space at the quantum level. It also allows us to calculate physical quantities such as areas and volumes, which are important in understanding the properties of space in Loop Quantum Gravity.

5. How does understanding LQG and adding/multiplying in spin networks benefit science?

Understanding LQG and adding/multiplying in spin networks is crucial for developing a theory of quantum gravity, which is necessary to fully understand the fundamental laws of the universe. It also has potential applications in other fields such as astrophysics and cosmology, where the effects of quantum gravity may play a role.