Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A legal limit on marriage?

1. Sep 21, 2007 #1

Staff: Mentor

Glamorous politician wants law to allow 7-year itch

IMO - bad idea.
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2007 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Would make me very nervous if they don't also remove the part of the vows where you say, "'Til death do us part." :uhh:
  4. Sep 21, 2007 #3
    Under the current system, my wife and I are forced to agree to extend our marriage every day. It's one of the few things we do agree on. But lacking that agreement, we would have no choice but to divorce, as murder is definitely out. Anyway, even if we did divorce, I doubt we would separate as each of us makes up for certain deficiencies in the other. Pauli's plan doesn't really change much for people like us except for the onus of shelling out another 2 bucks every seven years.
  5. Sep 21, 2007 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Those Pauli's are fond of their exclusion principles.
  6. Sep 21, 2007 #5

Gold Member

They must replace it with something else!
  7. Sep 21, 2007 #6

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You could make it an anual renewal - then you could have a transfer season like in football. (Hopes wife isn't reading this.)
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2007
  8. Sep 21, 2007 #7

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

9. Sep 21, 2007 #8
    Marriage terms? Why stop there? Why not a campaign and election, too?

Vote for

Stephanie's husband

10. Sep 21, 2007 #9
    It could get a bit troublesome dividing up the assets every seven years. Who gets the kids and who gets the dog??

I've been married 43 years because neither one of us was willing to give up half of everything. :wink:
  11. Sep 22, 2007 #10

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl::rofl::rofl: Or we could add: And may the strongest survive.
  12. Sep 26, 2007 #11

Gold Member

Where's Tsu?:biggrin:
  13. Sep 26, 2007 #12
    Till 7years do us apart.

Möchtest du meine 7 Jahre Frau werden???? Möchtest du?? Möchtest du??
  14. Sep 27, 2007 #13
    I agree. . Marriage is a committment that has to be renewed everyday. The good side to Pauli's idea is that should one or both individuals feel the need to leave the marriage they're able to do so. This stops feeble and reluctant marriages from living on.
  15. Sep 27, 2007 #14
    And it's an institution. I should be commited to an institition.
  16. Sep 27, 2007 #15
    sure. But if one or both individuals don't want to be in the marriage after seven years it's not going to work. But it's still an institution.
  17. Sep 27, 2007 #16
    I think that in order to make the motorcycle guy happy, they should do the rule that you have to agree to extend your marriage, but in order to cancel your marriage, you have to fill out lots...and lots...and LOTS of paperwork. Then at that point most people would rather divorce than do a seven year breakup :biggrin:.
  18. Sep 27, 2007 #17
    Agreed. You should be committed to an institution too.
  19. Sep 28, 2007 #18
    I agree. If two people are no longer compatible they aren't capable of being married. The institution lives on for the committed.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?