Struggling to Teach AS Level Electricity: What Analogies Can Help?

In summary, the conversation is about the challenges the speaker is facing while attempting to teach AS level electricity and the concepts of voltage, current, resistance, and charge. They are seeking analogies or explanations to help students understand the concepts better, including using water tanks and pipes or teaching Ohm's Law. The speaker also mentions the importance of understanding units such as Amp, coulomb, and volt. However, they are struggling with teaching Ohm's Law as students find it difficult to differentiate between the resistance of a circuit and the resistance of a component. They also lack the skill of selecting the appropriate equation for a given question. Finally, the speaker asks for clarification on what AS level is.
hydey287
Hi there, I am currently attempting to teach AS level electiricity but am finding it really hard understanding some of the aspects of it myself, let alone teach the kids it!

They are really struggling with the concepts of voltage, current, resistance and charge, especially how they all link.

Are there any analogies/explanations out there that I can use?

Physics news on Phys.org
How about teaching Ohm's Law?

For me the most important thing is to 'de-construct' units
Get it clear that 1 Amp means 1 coulomb per second
And the most important of all ! That 1 Volt means 1 Joule per coulomb.

Thank you :) I have tried teaching Ohm's Law, unfortunately they find the fact that resistance of the circuit is different from the resistance of a component. They also lack the skill to be able to look at a question and select the appropriate equation, but I guess that that is a skill that comes with practice.

What is AS level?

What is "A Level Electricity Woes"?

"A Level Electricity Woes" is a common term used to refer to the difficulties students face when studying electricity at an advanced level, such as in A level physics or engineering courses.

Why is electricity a difficult subject to study at A level?

Electricity involves complex concepts and mathematical calculations, making it challenging for students who may not have a strong foundation in physics or mathematics. It also requires a deep understanding of fundamental principles and laws, which can be difficult to grasp.

What are some common problems students face when studying electricity?

Some common problems students face when studying electricity at A level include understanding abstract concepts, solving complex problems, and applying theoretical knowledge to real-world scenarios. Many students also struggle with the mathematical aspect of electricity, such as calculating voltage, current, and resistance.

How can students overcome the difficulties in studying electricity at A level?

To overcome the difficulties in studying electricity, students should focus on building a strong foundation in basic physics and mathematics principles. They should also practice solving problems regularly and seek help from their teachers or peers when needed. Additionally, using visual aids and hands-on experiments can help improve understanding and retention of concepts.

What are the potential benefits of studying electricity at A level?

Studying electricity at A level can lead to a deeper understanding of the fundamentals of physics and electrical engineering, which are essential for many industries and careers. It can also open up opportunities for further education and research in the field of electricity and electronics.