Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A-level math and physics

1. Jan 21, 2004 #1
    Exactly what math and physics subjects are you dealing with on A-level?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 21, 2004 #2

jimmy p

Gold Member

Well in first year maths, we take 3 modules, mechanics 1, statistics 1 and Pure maths 1.

Mechanics is about motion, modelling using constant acceleration, forces and newton's laws of motion, newtons second law along the line, vectors, projectilesm forces and motion in 2D, and general motion.

Statistics is about binomial expansion, probability, standard deviation, types of data, analysing data, sampling, and hypothesis testing.

Pure maths is trigononmetry, coordinate geometry, polynomials, differentiation, and intergration.

In the second year, we study Pure maths 2, pure maths 3, and then a choice between pure 4, stats 2 or mechanics 2.

i only know what pure 2 is cos i have just taken it. Pure 2 contains indices, sequences and series, functions, calculus techniques, natural logarithms and exponentials and numerical solutions of equations.

PHYSICS, you study Quantum physics, particles, kinetics, forces and motion and mechanicsy stuff, electronics, capacitance, exponetials, nuclear physics, and choice of astromony, theoretical physics, and astronomy. There are probably a lot more like circular motion and stuff, but someone else can answer.

4. Jan 21, 2004 #3
    Different countries have different A-level syllabuses and some countries do not have A-level. If you want to know more about the A-level syllabus in your country, I think you may find it on the internet.

5. Jan 21, 2004 #4

jimmy p

Gold Member

ps... im in England!

6. Jan 21, 2004 #5
    Yes I meant the A-level in England. The school system in Norway is different from the A-level system and I was curious.

Does anyone know what it's like in Ireland?

7. Jan 21, 2004 #6
    Just as an extension on jimmy p the full A-Level in Mathematics involves taking one of a number of combinations of modules.

For the single Maths A-level one can take:

P1 P2 P3 (COMPULSARY)

M1 (COMPULSARY)

S1 (COMPULSARY)

Then either:

M2 or S2

Then one can go a step further and take Further Maths A-level

This involves:

P1 P2 P3 P4 P5 P6 (COMPULSARY)

M1 M2 M3 (COMPULSARY)

S1 S2 (COMPULSARY)

Then either:

M4 or S3

And after that u can take Triple Mathematics.

This involves:

P1 P2 P3 P4 P5 P6

M1 M2 M3 M4 M5 M6

S1 S2 S3 S4 S5 S6

Now there are two more modules:

Called D1 and D2

this is decision making. (what is this one might ask, and i couldnt tell them) one can take them instead of one of the statistics and mechanics modules.

This is the structure of the A-Level Mathematics system.

8. Jan 21, 2004 #7
    This is the AS and A2 course that I teach - Advancing Physics website

It is a very good syllabus in parts, but too much coursework ruins it for me.
    It is also a little lacking in depth at times, but that is the way the Government in the UK want the 'A'levels to be!

9. Jan 21, 2004 #8

FZ+

This did not reflect my experiences.

My modules were:
    P1 P2 P3 P4 P5 P6

M1 M2 M3 M4 M5 M6

That's right, no Stats modules at all.

Allegedly, this option is more favourable for university maths courses, and the M modules are generally considered the more challenging modules. Besides, the Stats exam papers look insanely tedious.

Physics at A-level wasn't really that good, IMHO. Too much overlap with the lower M modules, and seemed to skim over the more interesting bits. Outrageously, calculus is not involved at any point, perhaps for fear of alienating those who choose inexplicably not to study maths as well as physics. Much credit to my teacher though, who had a sort of tangential approach to teaching.

10. Jan 21, 2004 #9
    A Level in America:

Math: Algebra 1

Pre-Physics, an illustrated comic guide to E=MC^2.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?