Is an AEA in Maths worth taking?

• Programs
  • Thread starter Smudger
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Degree
In summary, the student is considering taking an AEA in maths, but is unsure if it's worth doing if they don't pass. They are also looking for advice on unis to attend.
Smudger
Good evening guys.

OK, I'm a 6th form student about to go to year 13. I took Maths Physics and English Langauge this year but I'm certain I've failed English Language. I won't be resitting it next year, but will be taking AS further maths.

Firstly, is it worth taking an AEA in Maths? I'm thinking about it but incase I don't pass that, would that be viewed as a negative.

Secondly, does anyone have any advice on unis to look at. At this stage I'm expecting to be looking at A maths, B or C Physics E 'AS' English and I have no idea about 'AS' FM yet.

Physics news on Phys.org
Smudger said:
Good evening guys.

OK, I'm a 6th form student about to go to year 13. I took Maths Physics and English Langauge this year but I'm certain I've failed English Language. I won't be resitting it next year, but will be taking AS further maths.

Firstly, is it worth taking an AEA in Maths? I'm thinking about it but incase I don't pass that, would that be viewed as a negative.
Unless you're looking to apply to one of the top universities, I wouldn't bother and would just concentrate on your a levels.

Secondly, does anyone have any advice on unis to look at. At this stage I'm expecting to be looking at A maths, B or C Physics E 'AS' English and I have no idea about 'AS' FM yet.
Well, you're only going to have two a levels and two as levels, so I wouldn't say you'd be able to get into many of the top unis (they tend to require ABB as a minimum). I don't know though; look on the UCAS website for entry requirements.

If I remember correctly you can enter the AEA and if you don't pass then there's nothing really of it. It doesn't appear as a fail on anything like a certificate, so as I was encouraged to do have a go but don't worry about it. That is don't sacrifice your a-level studies for it.

Yeah thanks guys. I'm not expecting to go to any of the top ones, esp. with failing one of my ASs. Are there any reccomendations of universities that I might get into with slightly lower grades?

As far as I understand, AEAs follow the same syllabus as normal Alevel maths and so preparig for my normal maths exams would be pretty much the same process, am I correct in this?

As far as I can remember they do follow the syllabus but they are obviously very hard questions. There are plenty of resources on the exam board web sites.

Here is a sample paper from edexcel the main body for a-level maths.

http://www.edexcel.org.uk/quals/aea/9801

Have a look and see what you think.

Looks fun...

So the main challenge is using maths from all modules together, as opposed to learning small bits of maths for small exams, right?

Yes its just bringing everything together. Like I said previously don't worry too much about it and have a go at the practise exam.

What is the difference between 'A' level maths and a degree in maths?

'A' level maths is a high school level qualification, while a degree in maths is a higher education qualification. A degree in maths provides a more in-depth understanding of mathematical concepts and theories, as well as practical applications in various fields.

What career opportunities are available with a degree in maths?

A degree in maths can open up a wide range of career opportunities in fields such as finance, data analysis, statistics, engineering, computer science, and research. It is a highly sought after qualification in various industries due to its analytical and problem-solving skills.

What skills are required to pursue a degree in maths?

To pursue a degree in maths, one should have a strong foundation in mathematics, including algebra, calculus, geometry, and statistics. Other important skills include critical thinking, logical reasoning, problem-solving, and attention to detail.

Is a degree in maths difficult?

A degree in maths can be challenging, but it ultimately depends on the individual's aptitude and dedication. With hard work and a strong foundation in maths, it is definitely achievable. Many universities also offer support and resources to help students succeed in their studies.

What are the benefits of studying maths at degree level?

Studying maths at degree level not only provides a deeper understanding of mathematical concepts, but also develops critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills. It also opens up a wide range of career opportunities and can lead to a fulfilling and rewarding career path.