1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: A level question kinematics

1. Mar 15, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    a car takes 3 mins to travel between 2 sets of traffic lights which are 1800m apart, its velocity at each set of lights is 0ms-1

If the car accelerated uniformly for 30 secs and then maintained a constant velocity for the next 2 mins before retarding uniformly, calculate the the maxumum uniform velocity reached.

2. Relevant equations

usual suvat

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 15, 2010 #2
    Welcome to Physics Forums.
    It's probably best done drawing a velocity time graph and using the fact that the area under the graph is the distance travelled.
    Have you tried that?

4. Mar 15, 2010 #3
    Thanks for the quick reply.

Yes I have looked at that but as I didnt have a velocity it seemed useless.

I think I'm struggling as there is only 2 components to use i.e. time and total distance.

I'll keep trying :)

cheers

5. Mar 15, 2010 #4
    The shape of the graph is a trapezium. If you know the formula for its area you have all you need to find the "height" of it. (Height= maximum velocity of car)
    If you don't know the formula, treat the graph as 2 triangles and a rectangle and write down the area of each of those 3 shapes in term of the "height" of the graph.
    Triangle area is half base times height. Rectangle is length times height.

6. Mar 15, 2010 #5
    Yip, that done it...lol thanks alot for your help, it has cheers me up after a freak out earlier. I think I've been looking into further than was needed.

Thanks again,

Jeff

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook