Maximizing Velocity in Uniformly Accelerated Motion

In summary, a car traveling between two sets of traffic lights 1800m apart takes 3 mins and has a velocity of 0ms-1 at each set. Given that the car accelerates uniformly for 30 secs, maintains a constant velocity for 2 mins, and then retards uniformly, the maximum uniform velocity reached can be found by calculating the area under the velocity-time graph, which is a trapezium. By using the formula for the area of a trapezium or treating the graph as 2 triangles and a rectangle, the maximum velocity of the car can be determined.
jh128273

Homework Statement

a car takes 3 mins to travel between 2 sets of traffic lights which are 1800m apart, its velocity at each set of lights is 0ms-1

If the car accelerated uniformly for 30 secs and then maintained a constant velocity for the next 2 mins before retarding uniformly, calculate the the maxumum uniform velocity reached.

Homework Equations

usual suvat

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to Physics Forums.
It's probably best done drawing a velocity time graph and using the fact that the area under the graph is the distance travelled.
Have you tried that?

Thanks for the quick reply.

Yes I have looked at that but as I didnt have a velocity it seemed useless.

I think I'm struggling as there is only 2 components to use i.e. time and total distance.

I'll keep trying :)

cheers

The shape of the graph is a trapezium. If you know the formula for its area you have all you need to find the "height" of it. (Height= maximum velocity of car)
If you don't know the formula, treat the graph as 2 triangles and a rectangle and write down the area of each of those 3 shapes in term of the "height" of the graph.
Triangle area is half base times height. Rectangle is length times height.

Yip, that done it...lol thanks a lot for your help, it has cheers me up after a freak out earlier. I think I've been looking into further than was needed.

Thanks again,

Jeff

1. What is kinematics?

Kinematics is the branch of physics that deals with the motion of objects without considering the forces causing the motion. It involves analyzing the position, velocity, and acceleration of objects.

2. What is the difference between kinematics and kinetics?

Kinetics is the branch of physics that deals with the forces causing motion, while kinematics deals with the motion of objects without considering the forces. In other words, kinematics is the study of what causes an object to move, while kinetics is the study of how the object moves.

3. What are the basic equations of kinematics?

The basic equations of kinematics are displacement = initial velocity x time + 1/2 x acceleration x time^2, final velocity = initial velocity + acceleration x time, and displacement = (initial velocity + final velocity)/2 x time.

4. How do you solve a kinematics problem?

To solve a kinematics problem, you need to identify what is known and what is unknown, then choose the appropriate equation(s) to use based on the given information. You can then plug in the values and solve for the unknown variable.

5. What are some real-life applications of kinematics?

Kinematics is used in many fields, such as engineering, sports, and animation. It is used to design and analyze motion in machines, predict the trajectory of projectiles, and create realistic movements in video games and movies. It is also used in studying the motion of celestial bodies, such as planets and stars.