Are these A-level options suitable for pursuing medicine at Cambridge?

In summary, the speaker is in Y11 and close to choosing A-level options. They are interested in pursuing medicine at Cambridge in the future and are academically strong. Their initial choices were Physics, Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics, and Further Mathematics, but someone advises them to not take on such a heavy workload and instead consider taking either Further Maths or Physics. The speaker mentions taking five AS-levels and finding the workload to be extreme. They ask about the speaker's experience and if their school allows them to take five A-levels. The speaker notes that some schools recommend no more than four A-levels.
VNN
Hello,I'm in Y11 And 5 Days away from deciding on my A-level Options...

I would like to do medicine at Cambridge when i am older...

I am academically v.strong...

I was going to choose:

1)Physics
2)Biology
3)Chemistry
4)Mathematics
5)Further mathematics

Are these good options?
Hard?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
That'll be a massive workload, I urge against it. If you're set on Medicine then I'd suggest to take either Further Maths or Physics but not both. I took five AS-Levels and found the workload to be extreme - there weren't enough hours in the day.

Larry Gopnik said:
That'll be a massive workload, I urge against it. If you're set on Medicine then I'd suggest to take either Further Maths or Physics but not both. I took five AS-Levels and found the workload to be extreme - there weren't enough hours in the day.
Thanks!
Did you do well at the end of day with AS levels(In terms of Grade)?

Does your school even allow you start 5 A-levels? I do know that some schools do (and then expect you to drop one or two), but I also know that some school (including the one my step son will go to) is pushing for no more than four A-levels (they used to recommend four, but according to them the system is apparently changing again so now three is the recommended number meaning you can't then drop a subject) .

1) What are A-Levels?

A-Levels, or Advanced Levels, are a set of exams taken by students in the UK, typically at the age of 16-18. They are considered the highest level of secondary education and are often a requirement for admission into universities.

2) How many A-Levels should I take?

Most students take three A-Levels, but the minimum requirement for most universities is two. It is important to choose subjects that are relevant to your desired degree and that you are passionate about.

3) Can I change my A-Level subjects?

Yes, it is possible to change your A-Level subjects, but it is important to do so early on in the course to avoid falling behind. Consult with your school's guidance counselor or subject teachers before making any changes.

4) What factors should I consider when choosing A-Level subjects?

When choosing A-Level subjects, it is important to consider your interests, strengths, and future career goals. You should also research the requirements for your desired university courses to ensure you are taking the necessary subjects.

5) How will my A-Level options affect my university choices?

Some university courses may have specific A-Level subject requirements, so it is important to research these beforehand and choose subjects that align with your desired degree. However, many universities also accept a wide range of A-Level subjects, so it is important to choose subjects that you are interested in and will perform well in.