Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A-Levels

1. Aug 20, 2004 #1

jimmy p

Gold Member

How did everyone do?? I was a muchos grande failure... :frown: :frown:

Biology: D
    Physics: E
    Chemistry: E
    Maths: U - I didnt get a grade in a single module!!

I'm completely gutted. I've failed myself cos I'm sure I did better in Biology and Physics. I wasnt planning too much on going to Uni, but with these crap grades I will have nothing going for me until I'm older and experience willl count more... :cry:

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 20, 2004 #2
    Einstein was refused at polytechnikum Zurich (if I remember correctly)

Hey Jimmy ! Cheer up man. I don't know really what D, E ... correspond in our scale. But no matter. School is not goin to make you happy. You look like a funny young fellow, with a greedy mind for learning I suppose, since you hang in this forum. I'm sure you'll do great next time. :smile:

4. Aug 20, 2004 #3

jimmy p

Gold Member

I suppose A-Levels are like High School, this is one step away from University, and there isnt going to be a next time :frown: .

A is the best grade, U is a failure, E is one up from a failure... a very low pass, and D is a mid-pass.

5. Aug 20, 2004 #4
    Can't you have another try ? :surprise:
    Everybody deserves a second chance at least. :approve:

6. Aug 20, 2004 #5

jimmy p

Gold Member

If I had a second chance I would probably be 21 by the time I finished, and I dont think that is worth it. I'll just have to roll with the punch as it were...

7. Aug 20, 2004 #6
    Don't worry about it Jimmy. My Dad hasn't really used his qualifications all of his life and he is ... well....... 'old' so don't worry about it. I have my results soon as well so I can join you in crapness. :tongue2:

The Bob (2004 ©)

8. Aug 20, 2004 #7

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Chopnik, here we have "Junior Colleges" that you can attend if your high school grades aren't good enough to get you into a full fledged college. If you do well, you can then get into regular college.

Perhaps you have an option like that?

9. Aug 20, 2004 #8

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

And if you don't, maybe you could come over to the U.S. and study for a little while. I take some classes at a Jr. college because they are so much cheaper. You would love Santa Monica College out here in California. Along with all the usual stuff, they have classes like "Introductory Surfing" and "The Philosophy of Star Trek". :biggrin: Only in California, huh?

10. Aug 21, 2004 #9
    If you expected better grades, maybe you could apply for a remark?

11. Aug 21, 2004 #10
    I'm with the guy above me here.

Here in the US, I always have a slight idea of what my grades will be. I'm never too surprised of the result.

12. Aug 21, 2004 #11
    I got my results from the Irish equivalent of the A-Levels (although nowdays it is considered far more difficult).

Physics - A1
    Chemistry - A1
    Biology - A1
    Maths - A1
    Applied Maths - A2
    English - B2
    German - D3
    Irish - C2

I'm extremely pleased and I'm off to theoretical physics in Trinity College Dublin

13. Aug 22, 2004 #12

Please don't give up; never. If you have, i'm afraid nobody can help you. but if you have the courage to stand again, there are a lot of advices you can take from us who care about you and don't want to see you end up like this.

14. Aug 23, 2004 #13

jimmy p

Gold Member

There isnt the option of jr. college. I could take night classes to retake my a-levels. Or I could wait till I get a better paid job and go through the Open University if I wanted a degree.

The plan so far is to stick with the bookies till after christmas, because then I can say that I have been a manager for 6 months. Then I will start looking for another job. Then from there I dont know.

15. Aug 27, 2004 #14
    What exactly do you do in Irish? I thought Irish was just English with a funny accent.

16. Aug 27, 2004 #15

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Jimmy, I strongly recommend againt mixing work and study. If you want to really improve your grades, lay off the work for a bit - if you can - I'm sure that'll help.

17. Aug 27, 2004 #16

jimmy p

Gold Member

:tongue2: It's too late now. I worked part time while studying, but when the exams were over, I started working full-time.

18. Aug 31, 2004 #17
    My GCSE results have come through. He He :smile:

The Bob (2004 ©)

19. Aug 31, 2004 #18

jimmy p

Gold Member

Go on. Spread the happiness.

20. Aug 31, 2004 #19
    Maths: A*
    Double Science: A* A*
    Electronics: A*
    Music: A
    Fine Art: A
    German: B
    English Language: B
    English Literature: B
    ICT Double Award: BB
    Statistics: B

That is all 12.

The Bob (2004 ©)

21. Aug 31, 2004 #20

jimmy p

Gold Member

I hate you.

:wink: :biggrin:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?