A lil history?

  • Thread starter Dx
  • Start date
  • #1
Does anyone know who created the first flushable toliet and what they call it sometimes by name today? I thought it was funny since its been so long since i've heard it called this name.
Dx :wink:
 

Answers and Replies

  • #2
I'm testing my memory instead of my Google skills...

Was it an Englishman named Thomas Crapper??
 
  • #3


Originally posted by BoulderHead
Was it an Englishman named Thomas Crapper??
Yeah! Cool huh!
Hey brb I got to go use "The Crapper!"
I use that word now alot, its funny. Great Job!:wink:
 
  • #4
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
8,010
1,004
I am told by the History Channel that Crapper was really the engineer that designed the London sewer system.

I think the toilet was invented by Dumper.






OK I'm kidding. Really: I think I have heard that it was Crane. The name is still seen today.
 
Last edited:
  • #5
Originally posted by Ivan Seeking
I am told by the History Channel that Crapper was really the engineer that designed the London sewer system.

I think the toilet was invented by Dumper.




You watch unsolved mysteries? Wow! I recall it to be crapper but you may be right Ivan. Interesting!
:wink: Anywayas brb I got to take a Dump.
 
  • #6
Andy
69
11
Well if it was the British that invented the flushing toilet, is it not someone called John? Because i understood that another name for toilet is "John" as in i ma going to use the John.

Also did you hear that the Irish invented the toilet seat,




The English Modified it by putting a Hole in it.
 
  • #7
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
8,010
1,004
Originally posted by Andy
Well if it was the British that invented the flushing toilet, is it not someone called John? Because i understood that another name for toilet is "John" as in i ma going to use the John.

Also did you hear that the Irish invented the toilet seat,




The English Modified it by putting a Hole in it.
 
  • #8
Mr. Robin Parsons
1,256
0
Originally posted by Andy

Also did you hear that the Irish invented the toilet seat,

The English Modified it by putting a Hole in it.

yes I've heard that, and some bright Canadian decided to attach it to a toilet, on an outflow pipe, thereafter..........Can You Imagine?!!
 
  • #9
Originally posted by Mr. Robin Parsons
yes I've heard that, and some bright Canadian decided to attach it to a toilet, on an outflow pipe, thereafter..........Can You Imagine?!!

Yes, but unlike the Canadians (and even the Canadians of today), the Americans use toilet paper rather than their hands.

eNtRopY
 
  • #10
Andy
69
11
Yea well at least the English arent related to the French! And as for the americans, dont get me started.
 
  • #11
Andy
69
11
How long until this turns into another arguement and then how long until it gets locked? Any Guesses?
 
  • #12
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
8,010
1,004
But it took an American to charge a $0.25 drop fee.

It took an American to figure out that we use less toilet paper if it feeds from the bottom rather than the top.

And it took an American to invent heated toilet seats.

And do I even have to mention the internet connected porta-potty?
Now top that!
 
Last edited:
  • #13
Mr. Robin Parsons
1,256
0
Originally posted by eNtRopY
Yes, but unlike the Canadians (and even the Canadians of today), the Americans use toilet paper rather than their hands.

eNtRopY

For attaching a toilet seat to a toilet, WOW that must be soemthing to watch, a plumber, with his hands all wrapped up in toilet paper, securing the seat to the toilet, then, the toilet, to the pipe on the floor.

Do Americans have some kind of special disorder to have the need of the plumber covering his/her hands so??
 
  • #14
Hey everybody!!! Chill out!!! I didn't open this thread for you to bash Americans, Canadians or anyone else for that matter.
dxtra :wink:
 
  • #15
Zantra
781
3
On a seperate note, did you know that the word "hooker" comes from a leuitentant Jonathan Hooker who during the american civil war used to provide that type of entertainment for his troops? Also explains the word "jon"
 
  • #16
Yes! I must admit I stink at history but I did know that one. I must say I din't know his first name though. Does anyone have anymore history we can learn from? Thats kwool Zantra, thanks for the lesson, dude.
Dx :wink:
 
  • #17
brum
81
0
Originally posted by Zantra
Also explains the word "jon"

um, explain please?

im not aware of the word "jon" having any extra meaning, beside being a person's name.
 
  • #18
Originally posted by brum
um, explain please?

im not aware of the word "jon" having any extra meaning, beside being a person's name.

Its also means bathroom, eg; Hey! Brum I got to go to the John dude!"
:wink:
 
  • #19
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
8,010
1,004
Originally posted by brum
um, explain please?

im not aware of the word "jon" having any extra meaning, beside being a person's name.

John is also slang for a customer of a professional lady of the evening.
 
  • #20
Zantra
781
3
Originally posted by Ivan Seeking
John is also slang for a customer of a professional lady of the evening.

Yup. LT Jonathan Hooker of the Union forces I believe;)

Hey I'm a plethora of sordid useless information:wink:
 
  • #21
brum
81
0
oooh

i thought jon had some new meaning

(i knew that john=toilet and thought that maybe "jon" --without the h-- had a different meaning)
 
  • #22
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
8,010
1,004
Originally posted by brum
oooh

i thought jon had some new meaning

(i knew that john=toilet and thought that maybe "jon" --without the h-- had a different meaning)

If I think long enough I may remember where this term comes from...but I think that this John is the paying kind.

Of course we all pay one way or the other...
 

Suggested for: A lil history?

  • Last Post
Replies
16
Views
740
  • Last Post
Replies
7
Views
336
  • Last Post
2
Replies
37
Views
820
Replies
2
Views
251
Replies
0
Views
118
Replies
0
Views
135
  • Last Post
Replies
0
Views
294
  • Last Post
Replies
2
Views
739
Replies
0
Views
81
  • Last Post
Replies
32
Views
2K
Top