Limit of Expression as x->inf: Find the Answer

• Thread starter cscott
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary, Daniel is trying to find the limit of an expression which can be raised to any value, but is complicated to do so using l'Hospitals rule. He suggests replacing x with infinity and finding the limit using the usual operations.
cscott

Homework Statement

Find the limit of the expression below as x->inf

Homework Equations

[tex]\frac{\sqrt{x^2-4}(x^2 + 2)}{24x^3}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I know the answer is 1/24...

I say use l'Hospitals rule but it gets messy, no? Is there a better way to do this?

Physics news on Phys.org
hint:Try multiplying and dividing the expression by "something" ;)

Well I multiplied out the numerator then split it into two limits where l'Hospital's rule was easy on one of them, and the other was straightforward.

What were you suggesting a use neutrino?

Just write it as

[tex]\frac{\sqrt{1 - 4/x^2 }(1 + 2/x^2)}{24}[/tex]

Has degree 3 in both numerator and denominator. What do you get if you divide both numerator and denominator by x3?

I reckon AlephZero had the easiest way. Makes the answer obvious.

Just replace x with inf. and discard any addition and subtraction in the polynomial. From there, it's just calculating endpoints. The equation becomes:

(i^2^0.5 * i^2)/(24i^3) where i = infinity. Simplifying,
(i*i^2)/(24i^3), which again simplifies to
i^3/24i^3

At this point, i^3 cancels each other, leaving 1/24.

why replace x with i? Your just using a different letter...

Gib Z said:
why replace x with i? Your just using a different letter...
Replace it with infinity, I just used 'i' as a quick forum substitute.

cscott said:

Homework Statement

Find the limit of the expression below as x->inf

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I know the answer is 1/24...

I say use l'Hospitals rule but it gets messy, no? Is there a better way to do this?

JUst a piece of advice: always try to avoid using l'Hopital's rule when dealing with fractions containg (square, cubic,...) roots. There are cases when this rule doesn't lead you anywhere. Let me think of one and i'll post it later.

Daniel.

Yes, got it: Apply l'Hopital's rule to

[tex] \lim_{x\rightarrow \infty} \frac{\sqrt{x^{2}+1}}{x} [/tex]

and you'll understand my point better.

Daniel.

2ltben said:
Replace it with infinity, I just used 'i' as a quick forum substitute.

Yes, but in essence, you just substituted in infinity for x, except you did not carry out any operations on it until the end. eg You did not replace infinity square with infinity, you left it as it is. Your method works, but in essence its the same thing, and it could get confusing.

What does "limit of expression as x->inf" mean?

The limit of expression as x->inf refers to the value that a function or expression approaches as the variable x approaches infinity. It is also known as the limit at infinity.

How do you find the limit of expression as x->inf?

To find the limit of expression as x->inf, you can use algebraic methods such as factoring, simplifying, or multiplying by the conjugate. You can also use numerical methods such as graphing or using a calculator. In some cases, you may need to use more advanced techniques such as L'Hopital's rule.

What does it mean if the limit of expression as x->inf does not exist?

If the limit of expression as x->inf does not exist, it means that the function or expression does not approach a specific value as x approaches infinity. This could be due to the function oscillating or having a vertical asymptote at infinity.

Why is finding the limit of expression as x->inf important?

Finding the limit of expression as x->inf is important because it helps us understand the behavior of a function or expression at infinity. It also allows us to make predictions and draw conclusions about the long-term behavior of a system or process.

Can the limit of expression as x->inf be infinite?

Yes, the limit of expression as x->inf can be infinite. This occurs when the function or expression approaches a positive or negative infinity as x approaches infinity. It is important to note that infinity is not a number, but rather a concept representing unboundedness.