1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A limit problem

1. Dec 21, 2006 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    f(x)=(tan(x)/x)^(1/(x^2)) it asks the limit of this function when x goes to 0

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

i have tried to take the ln of the two sides than used the l'hopital rule but with that way i could not reach anything. pls help me

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 21, 2006 #2

StatusX

Homework Helper

What exactly went wrong when you tried that?

4. Dec 21, 2006 #3
    Develop the tan(x) in a series first. Using the actual tan(x) always gives me infinity divided by zero.

The Taylor series of tan(x) around zero is valid for |x| < pi/2 so...

marlon

Last edited: Dec 21, 2006
  5. Dec 21, 2006 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If the limit is NOT 0, then Marlon's suggested method leads to an erroneous result.

Daniel.

6. Dec 21, 2006 #5
    Actually, YES, you are right. Actually, i don't know how to solve it so i am gonna say it's indefinite :rofl:

marlon

7. Dec 21, 2006 #6

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I get infinity, plus or minus, depending on whether the limit is approaching 0 from below or from above.

Daniel.

8. Dec 21, 2006 #7
    Yeah, (1+x^2)^(1/x^2) for x--> 0 (after doing the Taylor thing) gives me this : 1 + x > 1 and the power gets bigger if x gets towards 0, so you are EVOLVING towards infinity but what i cannot achieve is prove that the value is actually infinite

Also, if x is coming from te negative side, you are again evolving toward positive infinity because tanx/x = 1 + (x^2)/3 + ... with all positive powers !!!

marlon

Last edited: Dec 21, 2006
  9. Dec 21, 2006 #8

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I ****ed up the derivatives, i've had too much to drink at the party, apparently. By using the method suggested by Marlon, i now get e^{3}.

I won't go through that l'Hopital again. :d

Daniel.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?