Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: A limit problem

1. Dec 21, 2006 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    f(x)=(tan(x)/x)^(1/(x^2)) it asks the limit of this function when x goes to 0

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

i have tried to take the ln of the two sides than used the l'hopital rule but with that way i could not reach anything. pls help me

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 21, 2006 #2

StatusX

Homework Helper

What exactly went wrong when you tried that?

4. Dec 21, 2006 #3
    Develop the tan(x) in a series first. Using the actual tan(x) always gives me infinity divided by zero.

The Taylor series of tan(x) around zero is valid for |x| < pi/2 so...

marlon

Last edited: Dec 21, 2006
  5. Dec 21, 2006 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If the limit is NOT 0, then Marlon's suggested method leads to an erroneous result.

Daniel.

6. Dec 21, 2006 #5
    Actually, YES, you are right. Actually, i don't know how to solve it so i am gonna say it's indefinite :rofl:

marlon

7. Dec 21, 2006 #6

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I get infinity, plus or minus, depending on whether the limit is approaching 0 from below or from above.

Daniel.

8. Dec 21, 2006 #7
    Yeah, (1+x^2)^(1/x^2) for x--> 0 (after doing the Taylor thing) gives me this : 1 + x > 1 and the power gets bigger if x gets towards 0, so you are EVOLVING towards infinity but what i cannot achieve is prove that the value is actually infinite

Also, if x is coming from te negative side, you are again evolving toward positive infinity because tanx/x = 1 + (x^2)/3 + ... with all positive powers !!!

marlon

Last edited: Dec 21, 2006
  9. Dec 21, 2006 #8

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I ****ed up the derivatives, i've had too much to drink at the party, apparently. By using the method suggested by Marlon, i now get e^{3}.

I won't go through that l'Hopital again. :d

Daniel.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook