• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

A limit problem

• Thread starter oahsen
  • Start date
1. Homework Statement
f(x)=(tan(x)/x)^(1/(x^2)) it asks the limit of this function when x goes to 0

2. Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution

i have tried to take the ln of the two sides than used the l'hopital rule but with that way i could not reach anything. pls help me

StatusX

Homework Helper
What exactly went wrong when you tried that?

Develop the tan(x) in a series first. Using the actual tan(x) always gives me infinity divided by zero.

The Taylor series of tan(x) around zero is valid for |x| < pi/2 so...

marlon

Last edited:

dextercioby

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
If the limit is NOT 0, then Marlon's suggested method leads to an erroneous result.

Daniel.

If the limit is NOT 0, then Marlon's suggested method leads to an erroneous result.

Daniel.
Actually, YES, you are right. Actually, i don't know how to solve it so i am gonna say it's indefinite :rofl:

marlon

dextercioby

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
I get infinity, plus or minus, depending on whether the limit is approaching 0 from below or from above.

Daniel.

I get infinity, plus or minus, depending on whether the limit is approaching 0 from below or from above.

Daniel.
Yeah, (1+x^2)^(1/x^2) for x--> 0 (after doing the Taylor thing) gives me this : 1 + x > 1 and the power gets bigger if x gets towards 0, so you are EVOLVING towards infinity but what i cannot achieve is prove that the value is actually infinite

Also, if x is coming from te negative side, you are again evolving toward positive infinity because tanx/x = 1 + (x^2)/3 + ... with all positive powers !!!

marlon

Last edited:

dextercioby

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
I ****ed up the derivatives, i've had too much to drink at the party, apparently. By using the method suggested by Marlon, i now get e^{3}.

I won't go through that l'Hopital again. :d

Daniel.