Limiting f(x): Finding the Limit of (tan(x)/x)^(1/(x^2))

• Thread starter oahsen
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary, the conversation is about finding the limit of the function f(x)=(tan(x)/x)^(1/(x^2)) as x approaches 0. Marlon suggests using the Taylor series expansion of tan(x) and Daniel agrees, but cautions that the result may be erroneous if the limit is not 0. Marlon then makes a mistake in their calculation due to being intoxicated, but using their method, the limit is found to be e^3.
oahsen

Homework Statement

f(x)=(tan(x)/x)^(1/(x^2)) it asks the limit of this function when x goes to 0

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i have tried to take the ln of the two sides than used the l'hopital rule but with that way i could not reach anything. pls help me

Physics news on Phys.org
What exactly went wrong when you tried that?

Develop the tan(x) in a series first. Using the actual tan(x) always gives me infinity divided by zero.

The Taylor series of tan(x) around zero is valid for |x| < pi/2 so...

marlon

Last edited:
If the limit is NOT 0, then Marlon's suggested method leads to an erroneous result.

Daniel.

dextercioby said:
If the limit is NOT 0, then Marlon's suggested method leads to an erroneous result.

Daniel.

Actually, YES, you are right. Actually, i don't know how to solve it so i am going to say it's indefinite :rofl:

marlon

I get infinity, plus or minus, depending on whether the limit is approaching 0 from below or from above.

Daniel.

dextercioby said:
I get infinity, plus or minus, depending on whether the limit is approaching 0 from below or from above.

Daniel.

Yeah, (1+x^2)^(1/x^2) for x--> 0 (after doing the Taylor thing) gives me this : 1 + x > 1 and the power gets bigger if x gets towards 0, so you are EVOLVING towards infinity but what i cannot achieve is prove that the value is actually infinite

Also, if x is coming from te negative side, you are again evolving toward positive infinity because tanx/x = 1 + (x^2)/3 + ... with all positive powers !

marlon

Last edited:
I ****ed up the derivatives, I've had too much to drink at the party, apparently. By using the method suggested by Marlon, i now get e^{3}.

I won't go through that l'Hopital again. :d

Daniel.

1. What is the definition of a limit?

A limit is the value that a function approaches as the input values get closer and closer to a specific point, without actually reaching that point.

2. What is the process of finding the limit of a function?

The process of finding the limit of a function involves evaluating the function at values that are very close to the given point and observing the trend in the output values. If the output values get closer and closer to a specific value, then that value is the limit of the function at that point.

3. What is the limit of a function as x approaches infinity?

If a function approaches a specific value as x gets closer and closer to infinity, then that value is the limit of the function as x approaches infinity.

4. How do you find the limit of a function involving trigonometric functions?

To find the limit of a function involving trigonometric functions, you can substitute the given value for x and simplify the expression. If the expression is indeterminate, you can use trigonometric identities or L'Hopital's rule to evaluate the limit.

5. Is there a general rule for finding the limit of a function?

There is no general rule for finding the limit of a function. The method used to find the limit depends on the type of function and the given point. It is important to understand the properties of limits and have knowledge of various techniques, such as substitution, factoring, and L'Hopital's rule.