Help Solving: Euler's Limit Question (x > 0)

• Thread starter murshid_islam
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of L'Hopital's rule to find the limit of a mathematical expression involving the function ln x. The result is -ln x, which is obtained by correctly applying the rule and differentiating with respect to t instead of x. The conversation also includes a joke and some further explanations.
murshid_islam
In the preface to William Dunham's book "Euler: The Master of Us All", he wrote,

[tex]\lim_{t\rightarrow 0^{+}} \frac{1-x^t}{t} = -\ln x[/tex] for [tex]x > 0[/tex]

I can't figure out how the result comes out to be [itex]-\ln x[/itex]. Can anyone help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Use L'Hopital's rule

arildno said:
Use L'Hopital's rule
Got it! Thanks!

I was trying the L'Hopital's rule before, but I was mistakenly trying it by differentiating with respect to x instead of t.

murshid_islam said:
Got it! Thanks!
You're welcome! :smile:

I was trying the L'Hopital's rule before, but I was mistakenly trying it by differentiating with respect to x instead of t.
In general, in particular in non-linear optics, x-differentiation should never be chosen if a t-differentiation is possible. :wink:

arildno said:
In general, in particular in non-linear optics, x-differentiation should never be chosen if a t-differentiation is possible. :wink:
Didn't get the joke. :confused:

It wasn't particularly funny, sort of an inductio-ad-aburdum, pythonesque sort of joke i often make, and that falls flat, SPLAT! on the ground...:cry:

hello welcome
i think it is so easy, right
we will apply L'Hopital's rule for top and bottom

top = 1 - x^t ==> -x^t lnx
bottom = t ==> 1

then limit t----->0+ -x^t lnx / 1
t=0
so our limit will be -lnx
hi
-x^t = -x^0 =1

its just minus the derivative of x^t wrt t, at t=0, so the basic rule that the derivative of x^t is ln(x).x^t gives it, for t = 0.

1. What is Euler's limit question?

Euler's limit question is a mathematical problem that involves finding the limit of a function as the input variable approaches a certain value, typically infinity. It was first introduced by the mathematician Leonhard Euler and is an important concept in calculus and analysis.

2. Why is Euler's limit question important?

Euler's limit question is important because it allows us to understand the behavior of a function as its input variable approaches a specific value. This can help us make predictions and solve real-world problems that involve continuously changing variables.

3. How do you solve Euler's limit question?

Solving Euler's limit question involves using various mathematical techniques, such as substitution, factoring, and L'Hôpital's rule, to simplify the function and find the limit. It also requires a solid understanding of algebra and calculus principles.

4. What are some common applications of Euler's limit question?

Euler's limit question has many applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. For example, it is used to analyze the behavior of population growth, determine the speed of convergence in algorithms, and calculate the maximum efficiency of a heat engine.

5. Can you provide an example of solving Euler's limit question?

Sure, here's an example: Find the limit of (x^2 + 3x) / x as x approaches 2. First, we can simplify the function to (x + 3) by factoring out an x. Then, as x approaches 2, the function becomes (2 + 3) = 5. Therefore, the limit of the function is 5.