Exploring Linear Algebra: From Basics to Applications

In summary, the conversation discusses the frustration of finding Linear Algebra books that claim to have applications but only provide a few snippets in each chapter. The speaker recommends Poole's book for a good understanding of the basics and mentions other books for more advanced material. They also mention the wide range of applications for Linear Algebra, including in quantum mechanics. A suggestion is made for the book "Linear Algebra and Matrix Theory" by Evar Nering as it has applications in various fields and is available for a low price.
DrummingAtom
Sorry if I sound naive but why do so many Linear Algebra books have the titles "and applications" only to give maybe one snippet of applications in each chapter.. I feel ripped off by those titles. I have Linear Algebra with Applications by Strang, Linear Algebra And Its Applications by David C Lay, Poole's Linear Algebra and some other random websites books, etc. Poole's book is very, very good and it actually does have applications but I'm ready to move on now and get into more of the advanced stuff in LA. Poole's book covers the basics really well and I would highly recommend it to anyone first studying LA. Every time I hear about Linear Algebra the first thing that is said is "Linear Algebra is a very important subject with many applications..."

From what I gathered it's used in QM a lot but I don't think I'm really ready for QM just yet. So, are there any good books for Linear Algebra's applications? Or should I just jump into QM right now? Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is linear algebra?

Linear algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of linear equations, vectors, and matrices. It involves the manipulation and analysis of these mathematical objects to solve problems related to systems of equations, transformations, and vector spaces.

2. What are the basic concepts of linear algebra?

The basic concepts of linear algebra include vectors, matrices, systems of linear equations, vector spaces, linear transformations, and eigenvalues and eigenvectors. These concepts form the foundation of linear algebra and are essential in solving more advanced problems in the subject.

3. How is linear algebra used in real-world applications?

Linear algebra has numerous applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, computer science, and economics. It is used for image and signal processing, data compression, computer graphics, cryptography, optimization, and many other areas. It provides a powerful mathematical framework for modeling and solving real-world problems.

4. What are the benefits of studying linear algebra?

Studying linear algebra can greatly improve one's problem-solving skills and logical thinking abilities. It also provides a strong foundation for further studies in mathematics and other related fields. Additionally, knowledge of linear algebra is highly sought after in many industries, making it a valuable skill for career advancement.

5. Are there any resources available for learning linear algebra?

Yes, there are plenty of resources available for learning linear algebra, both online and offline. These include textbooks, video lectures, online courses, and practice problems. It is also helpful to seek guidance from a tutor or join a study group to improve understanding and retention of the subject.