1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Linear Partial Differential Eq.

1. Dec 12, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find a vector field [itex]\vec{E}(s,phi,z)[/itex] (cylindrical coordinates) which satisfies:
    [tex]\nabla \times \vec{E} = 0[/tex]
    [tex]\nabla \cdot \vec{E} = q \delta^3(\vec{r}) + (\hat{z} \cdot \vec{E}) \frac{a}{1+az}[/tex]
    where q,a are constants, and [itex]\delta^3(\vec{r})[/itex] is the dirac delta function.

2. Relevant equations
    I didn't think it was really worth copying these here, but for completeness sake I might as well.

http://online.physics.uiuc.edu/cour... spherical coordinates - Wikipedia, the...pdf

In Cylindrical Coordinates
    Where E is a vector field, and V is a scalar function.
    [tex]\nabla \cdot \vec{E} = \frac{1}{s} \frac{\partial}{\partial s}(s E_s) + \frac{1}{s}\frac{\partial}{\partial \phi}E_\phi + \frac{\partial}{\partial z} E_z[/tex]
    [tex]\nabla \times \vec{E} = \hat{s}(\frac{1}{s} \frac{\partial}{\partial \phi}E_z - \frac{\partial}{\partial z}E_\phi) +\hat{\phi}(\frac{\partial}{\partial z}E_s - \frac{\partial}{\partial s}E_z) + \hat{z} (\frac{1}{s}\frac{\partial}{\partial s}(s E_\phi) - \frac{1}{s}\frac{\partial}{\partial \phi} E_s)[/tex]
    [tex]\nabla V = \hat{s}\frac{\partial}{\partial s}V+\hat{\phi}\frac{1}{s}\frac{\partial}{\partial \phi}V + \hat{z}\frac{\partial}{\partial z}V[/tex]
    [tex]\nabla^2 V = \frac{1}{s}\frac{\partial}{\partial s}(s\frac{\partial}{\partial s}V) + \frac{1}{s^2}\frac{\partial^2}{\partial \phi^2}V + \frac{\partial^2}{\partial z^2}V[/tex]

Also, the fact that:
    [tex]\nabla \times (\nabla V)) = 0[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I only need to find a solution, and not neccessarily the most general solution. Thus due to cylindrical symmetry of the problem, I can have the vector field not depend on phi. And since the curl is zero (and again using cylindrical symmetry) there should be a solution with E_phi=0.

The equations therefore reduce to:
    [tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial z} E_s = \frac{\partial}{\partial s} E_z[/tex]
    [tex]\frac{1}{s}\frac{\partial}{\partial s}(s E_s) + \frac{\partial}{\partial z}E_z = q \delta^3(\vec{r}) + E_z \frac{a}{1+az}[/tex]

Alternatively, since the curl is zero, there exists a scalar function V such that [itex]\vec{E}=-\nabla V[/itex]. Then we just have:
    [tex]\nabla^2 V = - q \delta^3(\vec{r}) + (\frac{\partial}{\partial z} V) \frac{a}{1+az}[/tex]

Maybe it is easier to solve this equation.
    These are all just linear partial differential equations, but I'm not sure where to go next.

In the limit [itex]a \rightarrow 0[/itex], the equation is simple (just the field of a point charge in electromagnetism) so I know that the solution in that limit must become:
    [tex]V = \frac{q}{4\pi \sqrt{z^2 + s^2}}[/tex]
    [tex]E_s = \frac{q s}{4\pi (z^2 + s^2)^{3/2}}[/tex]
    [tex]E_\phi= 0[/tex]
    [tex]E_z = \frac{q z}{4\pi (z^2 + s^2)^{3/2}}[/tex]

Maybe none of what I did was useful. I'm not sure where to go next.
    I have access to Mathematica. If someone knows how to make mathematica solve this so I can play with it to help me see what the answer should look like, that would be very useful too.
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2008
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?