A Linux hardware/software problem

• Thread starter The Idiot
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Linux
In summary, the person has installed Linux on their home computer and it doesn't recognize their wireless network card or their trackpad. They are using a mouse with Linux at the moment. They are looking for ways to get the wireless network card and trackpad recognized by Linux.
The Idiot
I've installed Linux (Fedora core 3 using Redhat) on my home computer, and it doesn't recognize my wireless network card or my trackpad. Right now I have to use a mouse with Linux, and can't connect to the internet wirelessly. How would I go about to try to get these things recognized?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Start by getting the make and model of your hardware, then hit google and the fedora resources.

The Idiot said:
I've installed Linux (Fedora core 3 using Redhat) on my home computer, and it doesn't recognize my wireless network card or my trackpad. Right now I have to use a mouse with Linux, and can't connect to the internet wirelessly. How would I go about to try to get these things recognized?

Laptops can be tricky, you have to enable PCMCIA support. Not sure how this is done on Fedora (everything is usually very automated). Basically, you will have to configure it to load the appropriate kernel modules on startup. What they are will depend on your specific hardware.

You don't happen to have a Linksys card with a Broadcom chipset do you? I had one of those and was out of luck.

Luckily I dual-booted with Windows, so I'm still functional until I get this stuff figured out. I'll try all that, though, and see if it works.

Hello, everyone., it is me again. i am sorry for posting after you.
I just installed linux, gen2. I partitioned drives into 3 drives, C(10),D(10),E(20), installed windows into C, then I installed gen2 into E. when partitioning E for installation, I changed my mind and saved 5 GBs for windows, but after installation was finished, I logged on into windows and found no free space I tried to save there. Can you help me to get it back please? :smile: :wink:

did you partition windows over linux?

neurocomp2003 said:
You question is dumb ?

boteet said:
Hello, everyone., it is me again. i am sorry for posting after you.
I just installed linux, gen2. I partitioned drives into 3 drives, C(10),D(10),E(20), installed windows into C, then I installed gen2 into E. when partitioning E for installation, I changed my mind and saved 5 GBs for windows, but after installation was finished, I logged on into windows and found no free space I tried to save there. Can you help me to get it back please? :smile: :wink:
Thanks a lot, I have that problem and solved it with partition magic already.

neurocomp2003 said:
hello, neurocom2003, yes, i installed mistenkenly both on teh same partition , :shy:, can u help me resolve probem ? :blushing: duel boot is messy i want to take one off :blushing:, help me please...

1. What is a Linux hardware/software problem?

A Linux hardware/software problem refers to any issue or malfunction that occurs with the hardware or software components of a Linux operating system. This can include problems with the computer's hardware such as the processor, memory, or hard drive, as well as issues with the software programs and applications that run on the Linux system.

2. How do I know if I have a Linux hardware/software problem?

You may experience symptoms such as system crashes, slow performance, error messages, or hardware malfunctions. These can indicate a potential hardware or software issue with your Linux system.

3. What are some common causes of Linux hardware/software problems?

Some common causes of Linux hardware/software problems include incompatible hardware or software, outdated drivers, system conflicts, and viruses or malware. User error or improper installation can also lead to issues with the system.

4. How can I troubleshoot a Linux hardware/software problem?

First, try to identify the specific hardware or software component that is causing the problem. You can do this by checking system logs, running diagnostic tests, or using debugging tools. Then, try updating drivers, uninstalling and reinstalling software, or repairing any damaged components. If the problem persists, you may need to seek assistance from a professional or refer to online resources for further troubleshooting steps.

5. How can I prevent Linux hardware/software problems in the future?

To prevent Linux hardware/software problems, it is important to regularly update your system and software, use reputable anti-virus software, and properly maintain your hardware. Additionally, make sure to only install compatible hardware and software, and avoid making any system changes without proper knowledge or guidance.