Discovering a Non-Conductive Alternative to Water in Convection Currents

In summary, water became conductive due to it's natural pH and ion density. There is no other liquid that is similar but with less conductivity. Ultra pure water is the best option.
sampro
Is there an other liquid that was similar water(In Convection current) but without the conductivity of it?

Physics news on Phys.org
sampro said:
Is there an other liquid that was similar water(In Convection current) but without the conductivity of it?

When did water become conductive?

Integral said:
When did water become conductive?

Well, because of its natural pH of 7 and consquent ion density, water is a little conductive, right?

Well conductivity is all relative, but most would say water is an insulator. So you're looking for a liquid that is similar but has less conductivity than water? Shall I assume you aren't going to care about the temperature range of what this substance's melting point is?

Ultra pure water.Because the onset of convection depends on the difference in density and viscosity, there can be no other liquid with similarity in convection current
This text is from wiki
The onset of natural convection is determined by the Rayleigh number (Ra). This dimensionless number is given by
Ra=ΔρgL^3/Dμ

where

Δρ is the difference in density between the two parcels of material that are mixing
g is the local gravitational acceleration
L is the characteristic length-scale of convection: the depth of the boiling pot, for example
D is the diffusivity of the characteristic that is causing the convection, and
μ is the dynamic viscosity

Last edited:
Thanks a lot.
I see that water is used in radiator because of it's convection. However in an electric environment water can't be used.It's obvious that water conductivity can damage electric device. Because of this i try to find another liquid to use instead of water.

The stuff you are looking for is deionized or low-conductivity water.

How can you deionize water? Won't it always have some ions due to its pH?

He is talking about deionising water of impurities

DI water systems are commonplace in wafer fabs. They consist of plastic plumbing with supply and return lines so can be kept continually circulating through the filter system. I have seen DI water circulation used to cool High Voltage plates in MW+ radar systems aboard US Navy Ships. Depending on the care taken the resistance can be up to 18MOhms.

How your opinion about oil(kerosene or another types that is used for avoiding friction) instead of water?
I hear alcohol also has some water and therefore can't be used in this case.

Try to use Isopar.
http://www.exxonmobilchemical.com/Public_Products/Fluids/Aliphatics/Worldwide/FAQs/Fluids_Aliphatics_FAQ_Isopar.asp

Last edited by a moderator:
You need to speak to a professional. We've explained the industry standard solution, which you have apparently rejected. Fine...but if you are going to do that, you should be talking to a professional and not a bunch of people on the internet.

Thanks bro and excuse me for any disrespect.
But industry standard is not necessary.
This is a student level work(Not an industrial laboratory project) and i don't need high level professional knowledge because unfortunately I don't have enough money to buy a similar device only for modeling from it.
My question is simple, i know ,water can damage board and therefore i try to find a simple replacement liquid that can also transfer heat (not similar water).
Could u help me?

No, I can't help you. I pointed out that deionized water is used for this application, and you pooh-poohed it.

Whatever.

If I right understand, deionized water is water without salt.
But the water nature is pernicious for any electronic board and IC. Also Water will cause corrosion. Are u agree with me?

No, Sampro, I don't agree with you. But since you clearly have no intention of reading what I wrote above, I'm done here.

Our project is not a theoretical project. This kind of material maybe hard to supply. I want to use available cheap material(Because of money limiting).
But. Thanks anyway.

1. What is the purpose of discovering a non-conductive alternative to water in convection currents?

The purpose of this research is to find a safer and more efficient alternative to water in convection currents, which are important for many industrial processes and natural phenomena.

2. How is water currently used in convection currents?

Water is often used as a heat transfer medium in convection currents because of its high specific heat capacity and thermal conductivity. However, it can also be a safety hazard due to its electrical conductivity.

3. What are the potential risks associated with using water in convection currents?

The use of water in convection currents can pose a risk of electrocution and fire in certain industrial processes where electrical equipment is present. It can also lead to corrosion and contamination of materials in some applications.

4. What are some potential non-conductive alternatives to water?

Some potential alternatives to water in convection currents include oils, gases, and other liquids with low electrical conductivity and high thermal properties. These alternatives are being researched and tested for their suitability in different applications.

5. What are the challenges in discovering a non-conductive alternative to water in convection currents?

One of the main challenges is finding an alternative that can match or surpass water's high thermal properties while also being safe and cost-effective. Additionally, the alternative must be compatible with existing equipment and processes.