Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A list of Pysics Equations

1. Apr 18, 2005 #1
    Hello. I am making a physics calculator and I need some equations. I am going to impliment the Lorenz Transformation, some Gravity equations, and some other ones. Unfortautly I don't know (off hand) many equations, much less how to "group" or "catagorize" them.

Any help? :uhh:

If anybody wants the software just PM me, trust me its better than using a calculator and it has full "unit conversion" support. For instance, for speed units you can put something crazy like "50.8 kilo miles every 2 decades" and the code can actually compute it! Impressive conversion eh?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 18, 2005 #2
    C'mon im sure a lot of people here know tons of ''common' equations.

4. Apr 18, 2005 #3

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

scienceworld.wolfram.com might be a good place to go.

Incidentally, have you played with google's calculator? :smile:

5. Apr 18, 2005 #4
    What are you imposing? :rofl: I have to hand it to google, there conversion calculator is as good as mines. I did use google to get my conversion factors for my code.

Im checking out that site now btw

6. Apr 19, 2005 #5
    [tex]\sqrt {1- \frac {v^2} {c^2} }[/tex]

[tex]T = \sqrt { \frac {2d} {g} } [/tex]
    hence
    [tex]d = \frac {2T^2} {g}[/tex]
    and we can't forget
    [tex]e = mc^2[/tex]

Any other famous equations?

Thx!

Last edited: Apr 19, 2005
  7. Apr 19, 2005 #6
    Are you interested only on binary equations (involving two variables)?

8. Apr 19, 2005 #7
    Not at all. It can have 10 variables I don't really care. Just as long as the equation is somewhat usfull. I mean, we all know things like [tex]s = \frac {d} {t}[/tex]

Any help?

9. Apr 19, 2005 #8
    I was thinking that you were going to model it like a calculator, defining new operators. For example you could define operator <velocity>, say with a sign #, and the user would press: 5, #, 2, =, to calculate

[tex]v = \frac{5}{2}[/tex].

I think it will be necessary for you to include all the important physics formulae, not only from mechanics, but also from other areas: thermodynamics, waves, optics, etc.

Some suggestions:

[tex]v = \frac{d}{t}[/tex]

[tex]a = \frac{v - v_0}{t}[/tex]

[tex]x = x_0 + v_0t + \frac{at^2}{2}[/tex]

[tex]F = ma[/tex]

[tex]p = mv[/tex]

[tex]W = Fdcos\theta[/tex]

[tex]KE = \frac{1}{2}mv^2[/tex]

[tex]PE_G = mgh[/tex]

[tex]F_G = G\frac{m1m2}{r^2}[/tex]

[tex]F_E = k\frac{q1q2}{r^2}[/tex]

[tex]v = f\lambda[/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{f} = \frac{1}{u} + \frac{1}{v}[/tex]

and other formulas, of course (relativistic for example)

If you are ambitius, put also the ability to find derivatives, and why not also integrate.

[tex]v = \frac{dx}{dt}[/tex]

[tex]W = \int_{x_1}^{x_2}Fdx[/tex]

10. Apr 19, 2005 #9
    My idea of a calculator is way different from yours I think. And I dont understand half of the equations you gave me. Sorry if I sounds "ungrateful''. I am really more or a programmer than a physicists. I just like physics (but have never taken a course concerning it).

Also, can sombody please explain how to use the relavistic velocity equation which takes the form of [tex]w = \frac {u + v} {1 + \frac{uv} {c2} }[/tex]

Last edited: Apr 19, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?