1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A list of Pysics Equations

1. Apr 18, 2005 #1
    Hello. I am making a physics calculator and I need some equations. I am going to impliment the Lorenz Transformation, some Gravity equations, and some other ones. Unfortautly I don't know (off hand) many equations, much less how to "group" or "catagorize" them.

Any help? :uhh:

If anybody wants the software just PM me, trust me its better than using a calculator and it has full "unit conversion" support. For instance, for speed units you can put something crazy like "50.8 kilo miles every 2 decades" and the code can actually compute it! Impressive conversion eh?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 18, 2005 #2
    C'mon im sure a lot of people here know tons of ''common' equations.

4. Apr 18, 2005 #3

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

scienceworld.wolfram.com might be a good place to go.

Incidentally, have you played with google's calculator? :smile:

5. Apr 18, 2005 #4
    What are you imposing? :rofl: I have to hand it to google, there conversion calculator is as good as mines. I did use google to get my conversion factors for my code.

Im checking out that site now btw

6. Apr 19, 2005 #5
    [tex]\sqrt {1- \frac {v^2} {c^2} }[/tex]

[tex]T = \sqrt { \frac {2d} {g} } [/tex]
    hence
    [tex]d = \frac {2T^2} {g}[/tex]
    and we can't forget
    [tex]e = mc^2[/tex]

Any other famous equations?

Thx!

Last edited: Apr 19, 2005
  7. Apr 19, 2005 #6
    Are you interested only on binary equations (involving two variables)?

8. Apr 19, 2005 #7
    Not at all. It can have 10 variables I don't really care. Just as long as the equation is somewhat usfull. I mean, we all know things like [tex]s = \frac {d} {t}[/tex]

Any help?

9. Apr 19, 2005 #8
    I was thinking that you were going to model it like a calculator, defining new operators. For example you could define operator <velocity>, say with a sign #, and the user would press: 5, #, 2, =, to calculate

[tex]v = \frac{5}{2}[/tex].

I think it will be necessary for you to include all the important physics formulae, not only from mechanics, but also from other areas: thermodynamics, waves, optics, etc.

Some suggestions:

[tex]v = \frac{d}{t}[/tex]

[tex]a = \frac{v - v_0}{t}[/tex]

[tex]x = x_0 + v_0t + \frac{at^2}{2}[/tex]

[tex]F = ma[/tex]

[tex]p = mv[/tex]

[tex]W = Fdcos\theta[/tex]

[tex]KE = \frac{1}{2}mv^2[/tex]

[tex]PE_G = mgh[/tex]

[tex]F_G = G\frac{m1m2}{r^2}[/tex]

[tex]F_E = k\frac{q1q2}{r^2}[/tex]

[tex]v = f\lambda[/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{f} = \frac{1}{u} + \frac{1}{v}[/tex]

and other formulas, of course (relativistic for example)

If you are ambitius, put also the ability to find derivatives, and why not also integrate.

[tex]v = \frac{dx}{dt}[/tex]

[tex]W = \int_{x_1}^{x_2}Fdx[/tex]

10. Apr 19, 2005 #9
    My idea of a calculator is way different from yours I think. And I dont understand half of the equations you gave me. Sorry if I sounds "ungrateful''. I am really more or a programmer than a physicists. I just like physics (but have never taken a course concerning it).

Also, can sombody please explain how to use the relavistic velocity equation which takes the form of [tex]w = \frac {u + v} {1 + \frac{uv} {c2} }[/tex]

Last edited: Apr 19, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?