Help with Statics Problem - Need Advice!

In summary, the conversation is about a problem in a statics class involving finding the angle between the reaction at point A and the X-axis and decomposing the weight into its components. The suggested solution involves making the x and y directions horizontal and vertical and taking moments about points B and A.
JosephR
Hello guyz,i'm facing this problem in my statics class...and thought posting it here so i can get some help :)

here it goes

http://img372.imageshack.us/img372/6241/58856343aw8.jpg

Ok this is what i did and I'm kinda stuck...

just bare with me

http://img523.imageshack.us/img523/8193/36829965uu4.jpg

I'm not able to find The angle between The reaction at point A and the X-axis so i can project... any suggestions?

and plus how shall i decompose the weight ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
JosephR said:
… I'm not able to find The angle between The reaction at point A and the X-axis so i can project... any suggestions?

and plus how shall i decompose the weight ?

Hi JosephR! :smile:

Since the only given force, the weight, is vertical, it would be simpler to make the x and y directions horizontal and vertical, and to split the normal and pulling forces into Nx Ny Bx and By.

Then take moments about B and A. :wink:

Hello,

I understand that you are facing a problem in your statics class and are seeking help. I am a scientist and would be happy to provide some advice on how you can approach this problem.

Firstly, it is important to understand the concept of statics and the principles involved. Statics deals with the study of forces and their effects on stationary objects. In this problem, you are dealing with a rigid body that is in equilibrium, meaning that the forces acting on it are balanced and there is no net force or acceleration.

Now, looking at the problem, it seems like you have correctly identified the forces acting on the body - the weight and the reaction forces at points A and B. To find the angle between the reaction at point A and the X-axis, you can use trigonometry. Since you have already found the magnitude of the reaction force at point A, you can use this value along with the known value of the weight to find the angle. You can also use the Pythagorean theorem to find the third side of the triangle and then use trigonometric ratios to find the angle.

As for decomposing the weight, you can break it down into its components along the X and Y axes. Since the weight is acting vertically downwards, its component along the X-axis will be zero and its component along the Y-axis will be equal to its magnitude. This will help you in balancing the forces along the X and Y axes separately.

I hope this helps you in solving the problem. Remember to always approach statics problems by first understanding the principles involved and then using appropriate mathematical techniques to solve them. If you still have any doubts, don't hesitate to seek further clarification from your professor or classmates. Good luck!

What is the problem asking for?

The problem is asking for help with a statics problem. This means that it involves analyzing forces and objects that are not in motion.

What do I need to know to solve the problem?

To solve the problem, you will need a basic understanding of statics principles, including how to calculate forces, moments, and equilibrium.

How do I approach solving the problem?

When approaching a statics problem, it is important to first draw a free-body diagram to identify all the forces acting on the object. Then, use equations such as Newton's laws and the equations of equilibrium to solve for unknown quantities.

What if I am not sure if my solution is correct?

If you are unsure about your solution, you can double check your calculations and make sure they are consistent with the principles of statics. You can also ask for input from a classmate or instructor for further clarification.

Are there any tips or tricks for solving statics problems?

One helpful tip for solving statics problems is to break down complex problems into smaller, more manageable parts. It can also be helpful to work through the problem step by step and clearly label all forces and variables in your calculations.