Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A little biochem help before the final

1. May 10, 2005 #1
    I was wondering if someone could explain to me where all the ATP comes from from the complete oxidation of glucose. We said in class complete oxidation yields ~30ATP. I pretty much have where all the ATP comes from so far except my math is a little off.

We said in class 2.5 ATP come from NADH when e- 's are transferred to O2.

Thus in the TCA cycle I count 4 places where NADH is given off 4x2.5=10ATP
    multiply that by 2 since there are two copies of pyruvate after glycolysis for 1 glucose molecule so there are 20ATP.

In another step in the TCA cycle 1 GTP is given off so 2x1GTP=2 NTPs.
    That gives 22 ATPs

In another step in TCA cycle there is 1FADH given off, which we said in class yields 1.5 ATP, so 2x1.5=3 ATP

so we have 25 ATP.

4 NTPs from glycolysis

so 29 ATPs. Finally there is 1 cytosolic NADH that is given off during glycolysis. In class we said cytosolic NADH yields 1.5 ATP. So 2x1NADH=2NADHx1.5=3ATP

For a grandtotal of

32ATP. In the handout notes my prof. gave us he said there should be 30 ATP, where did I go wrong?
  2. jcsd
  3. May 10, 2005 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Did you take into account that during glycolysis ATPs are used. 30 might be the net yield of ATP.

However, I remember that maximun net yield was 38 but your prof my give you the number in term of efficiency rather than theoritical.
    Last edited: May 10, 2005
  4. May 10, 2005 #3
    Ah yes that was it. Thanks for catching it. Such an easy mistake.
  5. Jun 14, 2009 #4
    uh what maybe if you stopped the abriviations we could help you out?
  6. Jun 14, 2009 #5

Well, if you don't know what those abbreviations stand for, then you're not going to be able to help him anyways. :wink:
  7. Jun 14, 2009 #6
    it looks like simple multiplication and addition with silly abbriviations is this what biochem is? lol
  8. Jun 14, 2009 #7

Homework Helper

1. If you don't know what ATP, TCA etc stand for, I don't think you're going to be very much help.

2. This thread is over four years old, I'm sure he has finished this class by now!
  9. Jun 14, 2009 #8
    i think from bio 12 i remember atp is adenosinetriphosphate or something i dunno what TCA is or FAGH or NADS lol what kind of course is this? i'm glad i stuck with mathematics
  10. Jun 15, 2009 #9
    They're all relatively basic abbreviations that most bio students learn in their first year, and yes, biochemistry basically consists of memorizing mundane chemical pathways and cycles, and knowing the abbreviations of the constituents.

Good thing I only decided to minor in bio :D
  11. Jun 15, 2009 #10

Staff: Mentor

Thread locked. Luongo necroposted.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?