1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A little bit of trigonometry

1. Sep 18, 2010 #1
    Hi, I have a problem that arose in one of my courses that I've gotten stuck on. I reduced it to two equations in two unknowns but can't get any further. I've apparently forgotten all the trigonometry I used to know.

C = Acos(x) + Bcos(y)

0 = Asin(x) + Bsin(y)

where A,B,C are known but tedious to write (they are on the order of 10^(-19)).

I'd appreciate any help you can offer. I'm sure the solution will be obvious once I see it.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 19, 2010 #2

danago

Gold Member

First thing that comes to my mind is to first express the equations in the following form:

[tex]\begin{array}{l}
    \cos (y) = \frac{{C - A\cos (x)}}{B}\\
    \sin (y) = - \frac{{A\sin (x)}}{B}
    \end{array}[/tex]

You can then use the pythagorean identity ([tex]{\sin ^2}(y) + {\cos ^2}(y) \equiv 1[/tex]) to form the following equation:

[tex]{\left( {\frac{{A\sin (x)}}{B}} \right)^2} + {\left( {\frac{{C - A\cos (x)}}{B}} \right)^2} = 1[/tex]

Expand it out and it should be easy to solve for x, which can then be substituted into one of the first equations to find y.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook