A little brain teaser )

• Thread starter alibaba2
  • Start date
a little brain teaser..:))

hi ...i'm having a hard time figuring out this one. see attachment pic. a water coluumn, square based tube ( 1 x 1 meters ) - height 10 meters. what will be the amount for the red weight at one side of the see-saw in order to push a styrofoam cube sized( 1x1x1meters=1 cubic meter) . the force must be sufficient to push the styrofoam inside the water column 1 meter up (so it will be at 9 meters depth).
theoretically there is no friction, and there is a seal blocking the water from flowing down and out of the pipe.

ideas?
thanks

Attachments

Re: a little brain teaser..:))

the force must be sufficient to push the styrofoam inside the water column 1 meter up (so it will be at 9 meters depth).
theoretically there is no friction, and there is a seal blocking the water from flowing down and out of the pipe.
I don't get this one: If there is a frictionless seal between the styrofoam and the cylinder, then you can't push the foam "into" the water; the foam will act like a piston and you'll simply lift the entire column

Re: a little brain teaser..:))

ok, forget the frictionless seal detail, what i mena is there is no loss of water...i.e. all water leaked out below is compensated above, so water level remains constant.
thanks