1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A little confused

1. Sep 18, 2006 #1
    A little confused....

:grumpy: Allright, I am doing Grade 12 University Prep. Physics, and I am almost finished the 4th Lesson. But I hit this one question and I am little stumped, my teacher does not com in for 15 minutes or so, so I thought maybe you guys would like to help me.

The initial scenario is this: A race car driver is driving her car at a record breaking speed of 225 km/h = 62.5m/s. The first turn on the course is banked at 15(deg), and the cars mass is 1450kg.

a) Calculate the radius of the curvature for this turn.

Which I did, no problem.

b) Calculate the centripetal acceleration of the car.

Again, no problem.

c) If the car maintains a circular track around the curve, what is the mganitude of the force of static friction?

So I calculated to force of static friction, which ended up being 0.27.

d) What is the coefficient of static friction necessary to ensure the safety of this turn?

Now I am stumped, didn't I just answer this question? Or rather how would I anser this question?

Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2006 #2
    The force of static friction is measured in Newtons, it's what acts on the car to keep it from sliding. The coefficient of static friction is a dimensionless number, usually less than 1. I can tell you right now that a car's friction force will be quite a bit greater than 0.27N...

4. Sep 18, 2006 #3
    Hahaha. You know what? I figured it out like right after I posted this. Thanks. Everything is fine now:)

5. Nov 15, 2006 #4
    You figured it out eih? Well my friend this question if FLAWED. Yepp, it is MISSING DATA. There is no way you can determine r with the data given. So whatever u figured out, u figured out wrong :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?