Calculate Min Speed of Electron from Neutron Star in Nebula

• Thread starter JTraik
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Confused
In summary: The electric field is uniform within the sphere, so there is no attraction or repelling between the electron and the protons. This electron will just float around in the nebula.
JTraik

Homework Statement

The following is the problem at hand. I am having difficulty starting out because I do not understand what is going to happen, in a general sense.

You have landed a summer job working with an Astrophysics group investigating the origin of high-energy particles in the galaxy. The group you are joining has just discovered a large spherical nebula with a radius 1.2 million km. The nebula consists of about 5 x 10E10 hydrogen nuclei (protons) which appear to be uniformly distributed in the shape of a sphere. At the center of this sphere of positive charge is a very small neutron star. Your group had detected electrons emerging from the nebula. A friend of yours has a theory that the electrons are coming from the neutron star. To test that theory, she asks you to calculate the minimum speed that an electron would need to start from the neutron star and just make it to outside the nebula. From the inside cover of your trusty physics text you find that the charge of a proton (and an electron) is 1.6 x 10E-19 C, the mass of the proton is 1.7 x 10E-27 kg, and the mass of the electron is 9.1 x 10E-31 kg.

Homework Equations

I am confused on how an electron would behave in a field of protons and also vica versa. Since the electric field inside a conductor is zero, what is repelling and attracting this electron, shouldn't it just float freely around inside the "nebula"? I am assuming electric potential plays the role here, however it is submerged (no distance between) in a field, how can there be potential?

Your assistance is most appreciated, thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Recall any similar problems you may have solved in an intro E&M course (think Gauss' Law).

If I'm reading the intent of this problem right, this nebula is not to be treated as a conductor, but as an (ideal) insulating sphere with a fixed, uniformly-dense, positive charge distribution (the density is really low!). I am assuming that the bit with the neutron star is that the very center of the sphere is neutral (and so tiny compared to the spherical nebula that its size can be neglected). [Never mind that this "nebula" makes little sense in terms of physical stability...] I'm also assuming we can ignore gravitational effects for climbing away from the neutron star (which is also a little silly).

So, as Gokul43201 says, you want to use what you've learned from Gauss' Law to find the behavior of the field within the nebula. (It may also be worthwhile to use that result to find the potential energy change between the endpoints of the electron's path to the surface.)

1. What is a neutron star?

A neutron star is an extremely dense and compact star that is formed when a massive star collapses in a supernova explosion. It is made almost entirely of neutrons and has a radius of about 10 kilometers.

2. What is a nebula?

A nebula is a cloud of gas and dust in outer space. It is often the birthplace of stars and can also be formed when a star dies and releases its outer layers into space.

3. Why do electrons have a minimum speed in a neutron star?

In a neutron star, the intense gravitational pull causes the electrons to be squeezed together with the protons, forming a dense material known as neutronium. This density causes the electrons to move at a minimum speed in order to maintain their quantum mechanical stability.

4. How is the minimum speed of electrons in a neutron star calculated?

The minimum speed of electrons in a neutron star can be calculated using the Heisenberg uncertainty principle, which states that the product of the uncertainty in position and momentum of a particle must be greater than or equal to a certain value. By using this principle and the known mass and radius of a neutron star, we can calculate the minimum speed of electrons in the neutronium.

5. What is the significance of calculating the minimum speed of electrons in a neutron star?

Calculating the minimum speed of electrons in a neutron star helps us better understand the nature of these incredibly dense objects and the behavior of matter under extreme conditions. It also has implications for theories of quantum mechanics and relativity, as well as potential applications in fields such as astrophysics and nuclear physics.