Incorrect Thermometer Readings: What's the Boiling Point?

In summary, the thermometer is calibrated incorrectly and reads -10 degrees celsius at the melting point and 60 degrees celsius at 50 degrees celsius. Based on a linear relationship between temperature and reading, the thermometer would read 120 degrees celsius at the boiling point. The conversation also suggests that the solution to this problem is logic-based, which may involve drawing a table to better understand the situation.
newtonrulez
1. A thermometer is calibrated wrongly. At the melting point, it reads -10 degree celsius. At 50 degree celsius, it reads 60 degree celsius. What does the thermometer read at the boiling point?

2. I think this is logic-based.

3. I drew a table but got confused.

Physics news on Phys.org
Newtonrulez said:
1. A thermometer is calibrated wrongly. At the melting point, it reads -10 degree celsius. At 50 degree celsius, it reads 60 degree celsius. What does the thermometer read at the boiling point?
Assume that the relationship between temperature and the reading on the thermometer is linear.

AM

Sorry i didnt get it still..i tried to draw a table but i got lost in the way..
Could you please elaborate?
Thanks!

1. What could cause an incorrect thermometer reading?

There are several factors that could contribute to an incorrect thermometer reading, including a faulty thermometer, user error in reading the thermometer, and external factors such as atmospheric pressure or altitude.

2. How can I determine the accuracy of my thermometer?

To determine the accuracy of your thermometer, you can compare its reading to a known and reliable standard, such as a calibrated thermometer or the boiling point of water at your current altitude.

3. Why is the boiling point different at different altitudes?

The boiling point of water is affected by atmospheric pressure, which decreases as altitude increases. This results in a lower boiling point at higher altitudes, which can cause variations in thermometer readings.

4. Can user error affect thermometer readings?

Yes, user error can lead to incorrect thermometer readings. It is important to carefully follow the instructions for using and reading the thermometer to ensure accurate results.

5. How can I adjust for altitude when using a thermometer?

To adjust for altitude when using a thermometer, you can consult a boiling point vs. altitude chart or equation to determine the correct boiling point for your specific altitude. You can then use this information to calibrate your thermometer or adjust your readings accordingly.