N, which is not the case.Find Coefficient of Static Friction for 6.65 kg Box

• Thread starter strugglin-physics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary, the coefficient of static friction between the box and the floor can be found using the equation F <= mu_s*N, where F is the applied force and N is the normal force. To find the coefficient of kinetic friction, the equation Fapplied + Ffriction = Fresultant can be used, where Ffriction is the resistance to the applied force and Fresultant is the resulting force.
strugglin-physics
A force of 21.2 N is required to start a 6.65 kg box moving across a horizontal concrete floor. What is the coefficient of static friction between the box and the floor?

I've drawn my free body diagram and found that the y motion is N^F,B-W^E,B=0 I also know that the Force is larger than the friction
21.2 N - friction = 6.65a acceleration is not zero in this case right cause if it were zero than the friction would be 21.2

Physics news on Phys.org
Speaking in components parallel to the floor, u*Fn + Fapplied = 0 for a box to start moving at a constant (but slow) velocity. Or..

u * m * g <= -21.2N in this case because the force applied needs to be a teeny bit larger than static friction where u is the coefficient of static/kinetic friction.

really don't understand ur problem or possibly the notation u have used
N^F,B-W^E,B=0 ??

Anyways ...
F <= mu_s*N
and this resists ur applied force
consider the equilibrium and finish ur work

-- AI

Excellent, thanks for the help. What I was missing was the propper equation for the problem. This is the other half of the problem and I know it uses a slightly different equation but I don't know what that is.

If the 21.2 N force continues, the box accelerates at 0.400 m/s2. What is the coefficient of kinetic friction?

(sorry about the notation thing I should've used lower case letters instead of coefficents.)

same equation except sum of the forces isn't 0 anymore:

Fapplied + Ffriction = Fresultant

21.2N + u*Fnormal = m*0.4

careful with the sign on Fnormal.

Isn't Fnormal just 21.2N*-9.8?

R U still around? =(

If the box isn't moving horizontally, then the normal force N is equal to the weight of the box mg.

1. What is "N" in this context?

"N" refers to the normal force, which is the perpendicular force exerted by a surface on an object in contact with that surface. It is often represented by the symbol "N" in physics equations.

2. How is the coefficient of static friction calculated?

The coefficient of static friction is calculated by dividing the maximum static friction force by the normal force. In this case, the maximum static friction force is equal to the coefficient of static friction multiplied by the normal force.

3. What is the significance of the coefficient of static friction?

The coefficient of static friction is a measure of the amount of friction between two surfaces when there is no relative motion between them. It is used to determine the force required to overcome static friction and initiate motion between the two surfaces.

4. How does the mass of the box affect the coefficient of static friction?

The mass of the box does not directly affect the coefficient of static friction. However, the normal force, which is dependent on the weight of the box, does affect the coefficient of static friction. As the weight of the box increases, so does the normal force and thus the coefficient of static friction.

5. How can the coefficient of static friction be used in real-world situations?

The coefficient of static friction is often used in engineering and design to determine the materials and surfaces that will provide the most stable and secure contact. It is also used in physics to calculate the force required to move an object at rest on a given surface.