Proving Triangle with 90° Angle: Length of Hypotenuse Segment

• Thread starter juef
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Geometry
In summary, John is trying to prove that the length of the segment between the middle of the hypotenuse and the 90° angle is half the length of the hypotenuse itself. He is looking for a simpler solution, and is considering using Stewart's relation and the fact that the angle in a semicircle is always a right angle.
juef
Hi all,

I'm having a hard time proving something. Let's say you have a triangle with a 90° angle. How can I prove that the length of the segment between the middle of the hypotenuse and the 90° angle is half the length of the hypotenuse itself?

Here's a little pic to help you...

Thanks a lot, and sorry for my pityful english! :)

john

Attachments

• triangle.GIF
    triangle.GIF
    897 bytes · Views: 493
Physics news on Phys.org
Uh... isn't that what the picture says anyways? Why do you need to prove it if the picture is telling you it... or do you need to proce it for all cases?

Well, I have to prove that if one of the two (the 90° angle or the length that is half the length of the hypotenuse) is true, then the other is too.

juef said:
Hi all,

I'm having a hard time proving something. Let's say you have a triangle with a 90° angle. How can I prove that the length of the segment between the middle of the hypotenuse and the 90° angle is half the length of the hypotenuse itself?

Here's a little pic to help you...

Thanks a lot, and sorry for my pityful english! :)

john

I do not know your level of knowledge in geometry,the simplest solution I see at first sight is to use Stewart's relation (knowing also that [tex]b^2+c^2=a^2[/tex] and that the hypothenuse is split into two equal segments a/2).

See http://mathworld.wolfram.com/StewartsTheorem.html

With the notations used there we have:

[PA3]*[A1A2]2+[PA2]*[A1A3]2=[PA1]2*[A2A3]+[PA2]*[PA3]*[A2A3]

Last edited:
I think Stewart's theorem is an overkill in this case.

At the middle point of the hypothenuse, draw a segment parallel to one of the other two sides, and look for congruent triangles.

Try completing the rectangle.

How about using the (converse of the) fact that the angle in a semicircle is always a right angle ?

<Not sure if you've done circles yet. If not, I defer to robphy's suggestion.>

ahrkron said:
I think Stewart's theorem is an overkill in this case.

Well depends on the knowledge level.After all Stewart's relation can be easily deduced by applying Pitagoras' generalized theorem two times,rearranging a bit the equations and taking also into account that cosX+cos[π-X]=0.

Last edited:
Thank you everybody for your help, every advice was very helpful. :D

1. How do you prove that a triangle has a 90° angle?

To prove that a triangle has a 90° angle, you can use the Pythagorean Theorem. This theorem states that in a right triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse (the side opposite the right angle) is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides. Therefore, if the square of one of the sides is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides, the triangle must have a 90° angle.

2. Can you prove a triangle with a 90° angle without using the Pythagorean Theorem?

Yes, there are other ways to prove a triangle has a 90° angle without using the Pythagorean Theorem. One way is by using the properties of similar triangles. If two triangles have the same angles and one side length in proportion, then they are similar. If one of the angles is 90°, then the two triangles will be right triangles, and the sides opposite the 90° angle will be equal in proportion. Therefore, if the sides opposite the 90° angle are equal in proportion, the triangle must have a 90° angle.

3. How can you prove the length of the hypotenuse segment in a right triangle?

The length of the hypotenuse segment can be proven using the Pythagorean Theorem. As mentioned before, the square of the length of the hypotenuse is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides. Therefore, by taking the square root of the sum of the squares of the other two sides, you can find the length of the hypotenuse.

4. Can you use any angle to prove a triangle with a 90° angle?

No, the angle used to prove a triangle with a 90° angle must specifically be a right angle. A right angle is defined as an angle that measures exactly 90°. If any other angle is used, the triangle will not be a right triangle and will not have a 90° angle.

5. How do you know if a triangle has a 90° angle if the length of the hypotenuse is not given?

If the length of the hypotenuse is not given, you can still prove that a triangle has a 90° angle by using the Pythagorean Theorem. If the sum of the squares of the two given sides is equal to the square of the unknown side, then the triangle must have a 90° angle. Additionally, if you know the angle measures of the triangle, you can use the properties of similar triangles to determine if one of the angles is 90°.