1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A little help, please.

1. Dec 1, 2014 #1
    So, I'm majoring in mechanical engineering, mostly because I enjoy math and physics, and was told my focus in physics would get me nowhere, and that I'd have to go after engineering if I really wanted to work. That's what I'm doing. However, I want to go into an area of engineering, or focus, where I can still utilize my interests in physics and cosmology. I've thought about getting in touch with particular aerospace companies as a starting point.

Any advice?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 1, 2014 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

My only advice is that you make your thread subject line more specific to what you are trying to find out, so that people who are interested in giving that kind of help will notice it. "a little help please" is, generically, what ALL questions ask. I suggest something like "academic guidance, engineering vs physics". In fact, you should "report" your own thread and ask that it be move TO the "academic guidance" forum.

4. Dec 1, 2014 #3

Rocket50

Gold Member

I don't know who told you that "physics would get me nowhere, and that I'd [you] have to go after engineering if I really wanted to work". As far as I know, there are jobs available in physics, especially if you're looking to go into industry rather than academia. Although I think the job market is fairly small in cosmology.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook