Understanding Logical Statements: P(x) and Q(x) in Z | Examples and Explanation

• Thread starter Demonoid
  • Start date
In summary, the first statement is asking if every odd integer is twice another integer, and the second statement is asking if every integer being odd implies that it is twice another integer.
Demonoid
I'm a little stuck with these bad boys:

Let P(x) be the assertion “x is odd”, and let Q(x) be the assertion “x is twice an integer.” Determine whether the following statements are true:

1. (Vx ∈ Z)(P(x) ⇒ Q(x))
2. (Vx ∈ Z)(P(x)) ⇒ (Vx ∈ Z)(Q(x))

My attempt:

I don't get the statement at all; if x is odd then 2x ? maybe if x is odd then 2x is even ?
Is that what they're trying to say ?

and for me the quantifiers look the same.
(Vx ∈ Z) a-> b is same as (Vx ∈ Z) a -> (Vx ∈ Z)b

I don't understand the question at all.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Demonoid said:

Let P(x) be the assertion “x is odd”, and let Q(x) be the assertion “x is twice an integer.” Determine whether the following statements are true:

1. (Vx ∈ Z)(P(x) ⇒ Q(x))

My attempt:

I don't get the statement at all; if x is odd then 2x ? maybe if x is odd then 2x is even ?

Intuitively they both look like they are false, but can you remind me what the condition is for implication in terms of union and intersection of sets?

Demonoid said:

1. (Vx ∈ Z)(P(x) ⇒ Q(x))

My attempt:

I doubt if my response below says anything that your textbook/professor hasn't said, so your misunderstanding seems likely to be a symptom of a lack of reading/listening (and thinking about what you've read/heard). Learning to read/listen to mathematics takes work, but is invaluable (even outside of mathematics). In my explanations below, I recommend that whenever I ask a question, you refrain from reading the next sentence until you've tried to answer the question on your own.

I assume Z represents the set of integers; i.e. Z = {...-2, -1, 0, 1, 2, ...}.

Statement 1. should be read "for all x in the integers, if x is odd, then x is twice an integer". Is that true? Intuitively, it should be clear that the given statement is asking whether every odd integer is twice another integer, so to check it's truth you need to either prove it or find a counterexample. You might want to start by checking a few odd integers to see if they're twice another integer.

Although statement 1 is easy to interpret, the important thing we should be able to do is parse the statement to check for validity. This will be especially important in statement 2.

Statement 2. should be read "If, for all x in the integers, x is odd; then for all x in the integers, x is twice an integer". When beginning to parse this statement, the first thing to notice is that the sub-statements (Vx ∈ Z)(P(x)) and (Vx ∈ Z)(Q(x)) are separated by an implication arrow, so we essentially have a A ⇒ B type statement. How do we check if such a statement holds? Well, a statement A ⇒ B is true in all cases except one: when A is true yet B is false. So we need to check the validity of A and B separately. If we happen to find that A is false, then we don't even have to worry about B because the single case where A ⇒ B can be false is impossible. Is (Vx ∈ Z)(P(x)) true? What does that statement mean? It means "for every x in the integers, x is odd". Is that true? If not, you're done. If so, proceed to checking what (Vx ∈ Z)(Q(x)) means and determining its truth value.

1. What is a logical statement?

A logical statement is a declarative sentence that is either true or false. It is composed of one or more propositions connected by logical operators such as "and," "or," and "not."

2. How do you write a logical statement?

A logical statement is typically written using symbols and variables to represent the propositions. For example, "If it is raining (p), then I will bring an umbrella (q)" can be written as p → q (read as "if p, then q").

3. What are the different types of logical statements?

The three main types of logical statements are conjunctions (and), disjunctions (or), and negations (not). These can be combined to form more complex statements such as conditionals (if-then statements) and biconditionals (if and only if statements).

4. How do you determine the truth value of a logical statement?

The truth value of a logical statement depends on the truth values of its propositions and the logical operators used. A statement is true only if all of its propositions are true and the logical operators are applied correctly. Otherwise, it is false.

5. Why are logical statements important in science?

Logical statements are important in science because they allow us to make precise and accurate conclusions based on evidence and reasoning. They help us to form hypotheses, make predictions, and test theories in a systematic and logical manner.