Solving X^4+131=3y^4: No Integer Solutions

• Thread starter dtl42
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integer
In summary, the equation X^4 + 131 = 3y^4 has no solutions when x and y are integers. This is proven by using modular arithmetic, specifically looking at powers of 2, 3, and 5. It is also mentioned that using the given numbers can be helpful in finding a solution, but it is not pursued due to the difficulty of computing all fourth powers mod 131.
dtl42
This is a problem from Terence Tao's book, and I cannot locate the solution anywhere, so I thought I'd post it here.

1. Homework Statement

X^4+131=3y^4, Show that the equation has no solutions when x and y are integers.

Homework Equations

None? Not sure.

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought of using modular arithmetic, but I can't really work it correctly.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Okay, let's do some mods.

Mod (powers of) 2: 4th powers are 1 or 0 mod 16. 131 is 3 mod 16. So the LHS can be 3 or 4 mod 16 and the RHS can be 0 or 3 mod 16. Therefore we must have x even and y odd.

Mod 3: 4th powers are 1 or 0 mod 3. 131 is 2 mod 3. So the LHS can be 2 or 0 mod 3, and the RHS is 0 mod 3. So x cannot be divisible by 3.

Mod 5: 4th powers are 1 or 0 mod 5. 131 is 1 mod 5. So the LHS can be 1 or 2 mod 5, and the RHS can be 0 or 3 mod 5. Uh-oh! Looks like we're done!

Comments on strategy: When you're trying to solve a Diophantine equation, using mods is usually the place to start. If only one power appears, you might be able to guess what mod to use by Fermat's Little Theorem (in fact, in this case, this tells you to try 5, and that's the one that works). Powers of 2 and 3 are also good choices because there tend to be few possible residues mod those numbers. Using the given numbers can be useful too -- for example, it may also be possible to show that there are no solutions to this by looking mod 131. But I'm too lazy to compute all of the fourth powers mod 131...

I also tried factoring and using the difference of squares, but that didn't seem to lead anywhere. I'm not sure how to approach this problem.

After spending some time on this problem, I also could not find a solution using modular arithmetic or factoring. However, I did come across a proof by contradiction that shows there are no integer solutions to this equation.

First, assume that there exists an integer solution to the equation, where x and y are both integers. This means that x^4 + 131 = 3y^4 has a solution in integers.

Next, consider the equation modulo 3. This gives us x^4 + 2 ≡ 0 (mod 3). Since 3 is a prime number, we can apply Fermat's Little Theorem, which states that for any integer a and prime number p, a^p ≡ a (mod p). In this case, we have a = x and p = 4, so x^4 ≡ x (mod 3). Therefore, our equation becomes x + 2 ≡ 0 (mod 3).

This implies that x ≡ 1 (mod 3) or x ≡ 2 (mod 3). Substituting these values back into our original equation, we get (1)^4 + 131 = 3y^4 or (2)^4 + 131 = 3y^4. However, neither of these equations have integer solutions, as 132 is not a perfect fourth power and 147 is not divisible by 3.

Therefore, our assumption that there exists an integer solution to the equation is false. This means that the equation x^4 + 131 = 3y^4 has no solutions in integers.

1. What is the equation X^4 + 131 = 3y^4?

The equation X^4 + 131 = 3y^4 is a fourth-degree polynomial equation, where the variable X is raised to the fourth power and the variable y is also raised to the fourth power. The constant term 131 is added to the equation and the coefficients of X^4 and y^4 are both 3.

2. Why are there no integer solutions to this equation?

This equation has been studied by mathematicians and it has been proven that there are no integer solutions. This means that there are no whole number values of X and y that can satisfy this equation.

3. How can you prove that there are no integer solutions?

The proof that there are no integer solutions to this equation involves using mathematical concepts such as modular arithmetic and the properties of perfect squares. It is a complex proof that requires advanced mathematical knowledge.

4. Can this equation be solved using other types of numbers?

Yes, this equation can be solved using real numbers, irrational numbers, and even complex numbers. However, the solutions will not be integers.

5. Are there similar equations with no integer solutions?

Yes, there are many similar equations with no integer solutions. In fact, there is a whole branch of mathematics called Diophantine equations that deals with finding integer solutions to polynomial equations. Many of these equations have been proven to have no integer solutions.