Conversion from cm^{-1} to eV - Ask Here!

• Thread starter carlo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ev
In summary, the factor of conversion from cm^{-1} to eV is 8.065 \times 10^3, according to Ashcroft and Mermin's "Solid State Physics" text. However, this number differs from another commonly used conversion factor of 1.932 keV-Angstroms, which is based on the measurement of "k" in optical conductivity studies. The difference between these two factors is due to the use of either "k" or "p" in the conversion.
carlo
Hi to everybody;

I wanted to ask: which is the factor of conversion from cm^{-1} to eV?

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
carlo said:
Hi to everybody;

I wanted to ask: which is the factor of conversion from cm^{-1} to eV?

Thank you!

I'll ask this first so that you know where to look. Do you have Ashcroft and Mermin's "Solid State Physics" text? It is listed in the table on the inside back cover of the book.

Zz.

not here

thanks

A number I use is that 1=1.932 keV-Angstroms.

It might help to give more information! Since "reciprocal of centimeter" and "electron volt" measure quite different things, I assume you are talking about a very specific application.

HallsofIvy said:
It might help to give more information! Since "reciprocal of centimeter" and "electron volt" measure quite different things, I assume you are talking about a very specific application.

In optical conductivity area of study, it is very common to talk in inverse length to signify a corresponding energy scale. This is because from experiment, the value of "k" (either crystal momentum, electronic momentum, or wave number) falls out naturally from measurement.

Zz.

So if you look in Ashcroft and Mermin, the standard "conversion" here is

[itex]1 eV = 8.065 \times 10^3 cm^{-1}[/itex]

Zz.

The AM number and mine differ by a factor 2pi.
That is because mine is for k=1/lambda, with k in cm^-1,
and AM is for p=2pi/lambda with p in cm^-1.
You have to decide whether you are using k or p.

What is the conversion factor for cm^{-1} to eV?

The conversion factor for cm^{-1} to eV is 1/8065.54429. This means that one cm^{-1} is equivalent to 1/8065.54429 eV.

How do I convert from cm^{-1} to eV?

To convert from cm^{-1} to eV, you can use the formula E (eV) = hc / λ (cm^{-1}), where h is Planck's constant (4.1357 x 10^-15 eV*s) and c is the speed of light (2.9979 x 10^10 cm/s).

Why is it important to convert from cm^{-1} to eV?

Converting from cm^{-1} to eV is important in the field of spectroscopy, where energy is often measured in terms of cm^{-1}. Converting to eV allows for easier comparison and analysis of energy levels and transitions.

What is the relationship between cm^{-1} and eV?

The relationship between cm^{-1} and eV is that they are units of energy. Both represent the amount of energy needed to move one electron across a potential difference of one volt.

Can I use an online calculator to convert from cm^{-1} to eV?

Yes, there are many online calculators available that can quickly and accurately convert from cm^{-1} to eV. It is always a good idea to double-check your calculations with a calculator or other reliable source.