A little humor "when electronics guys stay up too late"

In summary: Yes, you could make the computer from scratch for about $600. The smart phone may cost more if you want a model that has more features.In summary, Stavros Kiri believes that the real value of technology is what is contained within the financial price.
Planobilly
When I don't have anything to work on I call up my "friends" to come over and play music...lol

Cheers,

Billy

Likes Stavros Kiri, EnumaElish, dlgoff and 1 other person
Physics news on Phys.org
Lol...
Cheers
Stavros Kiri

I am repairing and experimenting with guitar amps all the time. Part of the end game for me is to be able to play music with those amps. The guitar parts you hear in the video were done with one of the amps that I was able to build due in part to things I have learned here.

The amount of electronic technology used to create even a small video of this nature is truly amazing and would have been a huge undertaking fifteen or twenty years ago. I have no real idea of how many people and how many hours were required to make something like this possibly but it must be really huge.

I originally created the video for the purpose of giving student guitar players a backing to play over. I tried to make it funny so those students would be in a relaxed mood while learning to play.

Many if not most of the discussions here on the the forum tend to be of a theoretical nature. The video is a small example of the application of a huge amount of theoretical work done by many people.

I hope you got a chuckle out of watching.

Cheers,

Billy

Likes Stavros Kiri
I enjoyed it!

Thanks Stavros,

Glad you did!

Billy

Planobilly said:
The amount of electronic technology used to create even a small video of this nature is truly amazing and would have been a huge undertaking fifteen or twenty years ago. I have no real idea of how many people and how many hours were required to make something like this possibly but it must be really huge.
I am also fascinated by that idea!
+ will have more to say, time-permitted, later.

The cat was funny.

Hi Billy,

Just watched it again to relax and rest. [More serious discussion later.]

I also liked the actual blues ... and the funny part.

Stavros

I also have interest in technology, electronics and humorous situations. I'll pose a question for each one, one at a time, if you are up to.

Starting with the last one:

What is what defines something as funny or humorous? (other than making you to want to laugh - same thing). What is "funny" and what makes something funny? Or is it just intuitive? ...

Last edited:
Hi Stavros,
What defines something as funny is dependent on many things. Culture plays a roll. Langauge using words that have double meanings are often considered funny. Portraying animals or inanimate objects as having human characteristics is a often used device. The cat in the video is an example of that. Other peoples misfortune is sometimes funny if no real harm was involved. Many other things apply to humor which are not subject matter we could discuss on this forum. Because of all of the above, unfortunately using humor on the internet is often misunderstood. What may be considered funny by you and I may be very unacceptable to others.

I sometimes use humor to give myself and hopefully others a break from the complexities of electronics and other serious subjects.

Cheers,

Billy

I agree that it depends on many things and there are many cases. Also I add e.g. contradictory situations and awkward moments etc.
But I haven't found a good global and general definition of 'funny'. I don't know if anyone has some ideas, but it may not be as substantial, because we all know what funny is, and we all know what we mean.

I also believe that humour is a good possitive way to face parts of life and make our lives more balanced. However, as you also mention, there are many relative views of people, thus caution is needed.

Planobilly said:
Stavros Kiri said:
I am also fascinated by that idea!
+ will have more to say, time-permitted, later
Stavros Kiri said:
... technology, electronics and humorous situations. I'll pose a question for each one, one at a time ...

Thus, 2nd question (technology):
"What is the real value of our technology? Is it what contained in the financial price? (Which is innevitably affected by the laws of economics ...) "

For example: Say we consider a $200 smart phone, or even say a $700 latest technology computer. If I give you that money can you make those from scratch?

1. What is the significance of electronics guys staying up too late?

The phrase "electronics guys staying up too late" is a lighthearted way of referring to individuals who work with electronics and often stay up late to complete projects or solve problems.

2. Why is there humor associated with this phrase?

The humor comes from the relatable experience of working late into the night and the stereotypical image of engineers or scientists being so invested in their work that they lose track of time.

3. Are there any negative consequences of staying up too late as an electronics guy?

Staying up too late can have negative consequences such as fatigue, decreased productivity, and potential health issues. It is important to practice good time management and prioritize rest to avoid these consequences.

4. Is there a specific type of humor associated with this phrase?

The humor associated with this phrase can vary, but it often involves puns, sarcasm, or self-deprecating jokes. It can also stem from the common struggles and quirks of working in the electronics field.

5. Is there a deeper meaning behind this phrase?

While the phrase itself may not hold a deeper meaning, it can be seen as a commentary on the dedication and passion of those in the electronics field. It highlights the hard work and commitment that goes into this type of work, often with a humorous twist.