How Accurate Are Theories on Magnetic Lines of Force?

• Thread starter Fairfield
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Magnetism
In summary, the conversation is about the critique of magnetic lines of force in the Theory Development Forum. The original poster is expressing doubt that the person they are responding to has seen anything different from what has already been observed in the past. They advise the person to do some basic research on Faraday, Ampere, and Gauss, who laid the foundation for our current Electro Magnetic theory. The original poster also suggests that if the person is not familiar with this theory, they cannot accurately determine if they are seeing something different. The person responding, Fairfield, thanks the original poster for their advice but stands by their belief that they have noticed something wrong.
Fairfield
Rewritten and placed in the thread titled, "A little critique on magnetic lines of force", in the Teory Development Forum.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Cuz, I have not read your post in detail, I am guessing. I doubt that you are seeing anything different from what has been observed in the past. Do some basic research. Read carefully the works of Faraday and Ampere, they did this basic research about 200yrs ago, their work was combined with that of Gauss, by Maxwell to form our current Electro Magnetic theory. If you are not familiar with it, then you cannot know if you are seeing something different, that is, not covered by the current theory.

I doubt that you are.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice Integral, But I do think I see something wrong. Check my last paragraph again. I'm sticking with that.

Fairfield

1. What is magnetism?

Magnetism is a physical phenomenon in which objects exert attractive or repulsive forces on each other due to their intrinsic magnetic properties. It is caused by the alignment of electrons in certain materials, creating a magnetic field around the object.

2. What are the different types of magnets?

There are three types of magnets: permanent, temporary, and electromagnets. Permanent magnets, such as those in a refrigerator magnet, retain their magnetism even when not in the presence of a magnetic field. Temporary magnets, such as iron, can become magnetized when exposed to a magnetic field, but lose their magnetism when the field is removed. Electromagnets are created by running an electric current through a wire, producing a magnetic field that can be turned on and off.

3. How does magnetism affect objects?

Magnetism can affect objects in several ways. It can attract or repel other magnets, attract certain metals such as iron and nickel, and cause a compass to point towards the Earth's magnetic north. It can also be used to generate electricity through electromagnetic induction.

4. What are the uses of magnetism?

Magnetism has many practical applications, including in technology, medicine, and transportation. Some common uses include electric motors, generators, MRI machines, and magnetic levitation trains. Magnetism is also used in data storage devices such as hard drives and credit cards.

5. How can we increase the strength of a magnet?

The strength of a magnet can be increased by using a stronger magnetic material, increasing the number of turns in an electromagnet, or by placing multiple magnets in a specific orientation to create a stronger magnetic field. However, there is a limit to how strong a magnet can be made, as the magnetic field can only be increased to a certain point before it becomes unstable.