1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A little problem help

1. Oct 22, 2006 #1
    Before you get all worked up, im just gonna let you know that this isnt homework. Here is my problem : A projectile is fired at a 20 degree angle with a velocity of 15 m/s. What is the total time of flight? What is the distance of its hight? How far did it travel in the horizontal direction?

Ok, no to solve this i used Vf^2=Vi^2-2ad, (this is on the trip up) where Vf = 0, Vi = 15, and a= 9.8, to give me the vertical distance of 11.48m. To find the horizontal distance, i used 15cos20 as the intial velocity and plugged it into the same equation to get a hor. distance of 10.13m. Then, to find total time i used a= (Vf-Vi)/t, where on the trip up a=9.8, Vf =0, and Vi = 15 to get a time of 1.53 sec, on the way down i used a=9.8, Vf=15, and Vi = 0 in the same equation to get the same exact time, which combine gave me a total of 3.06s.....so all of my answers are as follows:
    Dv=11.48m, Dh=10.13m, Ttotal=3.06s
    If anyone could confirm or correct my process id be greatly appreciated. Also im new so if this is indeed the wrong board i would gladly be redirected:smile: Thanks in advance

Last edited: Oct 22, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2006 #2

radou

Homework Helper

Your answers don't seem correct.

Use the 'standard' equations for projectile motion:

[tex]v_{x}(t) = v_{0}\cos(\alpha)[/tex]
    [tex]v_{y}(t) = v_{0}\sin(\alpha) - gt[/tex]
    [tex]x(t) = v_{0}\cos(\alpha)t[/tex]
    [tex]y(t) = v_{0}\sin(\alpha)t - \frac{1}{2}gt^2[/tex].

4. Oct 22, 2006 #3
    Wow, my teachers hasnt given us those equations so im really not sure how to use them

5. Oct 22, 2006 #4

radou

Homework Helper

How to use them? Simply read them. :wink:

(Hint: use the condition y(t) = 0 to get the time of the flight t. Then you can find all you need.)

6. Oct 22, 2006 #5
    Wow!!!! Excuse my terrible english in the previous statement......"my teachers hasnt...", you must think im retarded

7. Oct 23, 2006 #6

radou

Homework Helper

Don't worry, this is no grammar forum. :wink:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?